Maunder minimum, ice age and propagation.

Started by gil, July 15, 2016, 05:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Hello,

I have not made a single transatlantic contact since I got back on the air... I know I probably need to buy more wire, because antennas are going to get longer...

What do you guys think? What have you heard/read? How is this solar minimum going to affect prepping plans?

Gil.

cockpitbob

The Ham Radio Ionosphere app has been showing lots of days with crappy propagation the last few months.  About the only thing I see crossing the Atlantic is 20m.  A few years ago 15 was working really well for Dx.

I hear this minimum is going to be a bad one.
Personally, I'm adding 80m to my portable QRP gear.  At home I've got a 180' long wire on a tuner, so I'm all set for 80 and 160 at home.

gil

QuoteI'm adding 80m to my portable QRP gear.

Same here...

Gil.

cockpitbob

Gil, I'm with 23 relatives on a lake in Maine.  I have my 40/30/15 end fed up in a tree as well as my home brew budistick clamped to the deck railing.  Propagation SUCKS.  Yesterday noon I scanned 20 m and heard 1 SSB and 1cw qso.  15 and 40 were no better.  I want my 5 little nephews to make some SSB contacts this week but that's looking doubtful. :(

I'd like to have a sled with you but my propagation apps make it look like nothing is crossing the pond.

gil

It's been dismal. I keep checking the reverse beacon network and only see little bundles of contacts over Europe and the US, not much in between and little else. I hope we get some ionization soon..

Gil