Got in some free radio preppers advertising...

Started by raybiker73, July 17, 2016, 09:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raybiker73

I went to an Appleseed shoot this weekend, and managed to shoot a Rifleman score - while wearing my extremely dapper Radio Preppers T-shirt. :-). Also had four people there express an interest in getting licensed, so I'll be setting up a VE session this fall.

cockpitbob

+1 to you sir.  So, it's official.  You're not a cook but a rifleman.

I've had the itch to do an apple seeds for a while.  How many in the class qualified?

raybiker73

Two of us. I also cleared the "red coat" target and got the PA 1st Militia patch as well, with the "Domari Nolo" (We Will Not Be Subjugated) flag. This was my second Appleseed - I didn't shoot Rifleman the first time, but I definitely wanted to go back. It's a great experience, both for shooting and for a history lesson. I'll be going back again.

gil

raybiker73

Just a stock Ruger 10/22 with a really cheap old Simmons scope that had been laying around in my junk box. I had bought a BSA Sweet 22 scope for this rifle, and it was great - BDC, interchangeable turrets for different bullet weights, adjustable parallax, all the features. Then I took one shot with it and the crosshairs fell out.  >:(  So, it went back to Amazon and I went with what I had on hand. Worked out well, though!  I did the Appleseed this past spring but didn't make Rifleman. Same rifle, but I was using Tech 2000 aperture sights. They are a wonderful 10/22 sight, but my eyes just aren't "open sight compatible" anymore...

cockpitbob

I have a 10 year old Sweet 22 on my 10/22.and I was lucky.  Even back then BSA optics were hit N miss.  I'm disappointed to hear they haven't fixed their quality problems after a decade.

The 10/22 is a great rifle for the Appleseed's classes.  Accurate, cheap and a good training platform.

raybiker73

Quote from: cockpitbob on July 18, 2016, 10:58:00 AM
I have a 10 year old Sweet 22 on my 10/22.and I was lucky.  Even back then BSA optics were hit N miss.  I'm disappointed to hear they haven't fixed their quality problems after a decade.

The 10/22 is a great rifle for the Appleseed's classes.  Accurate, cheap and a good training platform.

I will probably try another one. Everything I've read about the BSA is exactly what you said. The scope you get will be really great or really crap, and it's just luck of the draw.

The Marlin 795 seems to be pretty popular for Appleseed now, too. The advantage of the 10/22 is that pretty much everybody on earth already has one.  :)