New QRP Labs 5W CW Transceiver Kit.

Started by gil, August 21, 2017, 07:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caulktel

Well, I'm 2/3 through the QCX build and decided not to use IC sockets, hope it all works.

Joel
N6ALT

gil

Quote from: caulktel on October 23, 2017, 06:40:52 PM
Well, I'm 2/3 through the QCX build and decided not to use IC sockets, hope it all works.

Joel
N6ALT
I am not going to use sockets either... Just ordered the enclosure mentioned above from Ebay, We'll see...

Gil

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

gil

I got my kit this morning, well, late morning, and it's almost finished... Except that C17 is missing! >:(
Winding the 68 turns (for 80m) then 3x5T for T1 was a pain. It could have been explained a little better. Other than that the manual is great. I hope I can find a 39nF capacitor somewhere.. I am not the only one, another YouTuber had the same problem, same component I think.

Messy... I hope it works...

Gil.

cockpitbob

Gil, that looks great.  I'm jealous!  Can't wait to hear your operating reports.

gil

Finished!

It works without C17... I will test it later, but output is 5+W, everything works, amazing little radio for $49!

Gil.

caulktel

Looks great Gil, I finished mine a few minutes ago but haven't done the alignment yet. I does work and I can hear many QSOs going on on 20 meters. That T1 was a bear alright, but I got it wound and installed. Sorry about your missing parts, that's a bummer. Here's mine.

Joel
N6ALT

Steve 7931

Well done Gil, can't wait to hear your reports on the workings of the radio.  Mine is serial number 1668 and should be sent mid November. Excited

Steve

gil

QuoteThat T1 was a bear alright, but I got it wound and installed. Sorry about your missing parts, that's a bummer. Here's mine.

Good work Joel, your T1 looks much better than mine but no way 68 turns was going to look good.

Now I need to put up that 8010P end-fed on the roof...

QuoteMine is serial number 1668 and should be sent mid November. Excited

Which band Steve?

Gil.

caulktel

I finished the alignment this morning and I was impressed at how simple it was. I have been copying quite a bit of activity on the 20 meter band. The power output seems a tad low though, 1.6 watts at 13.8 V and 1.4 watts at 12.8 V. Maybe that is all to be expected at 14Mhz. Anyway 1.5 watts is plenty to communicate with.

Joel
N6ALT

caulktel

Just updated the 1.00b firmware to 1.00c using a Arduino ICSP made out of one of my many Arduino UNO clones. Worked great. I'm having a blast with this radio. Got to figure out how to install in a enclosure next.

Joel
N6ALT

gil

I just ordered an AVR programmer, super cheap on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USBTiny-USBtinyISP-AVR-ISP-programmer-for-Arduino-bootloader-Meag2560-uno-r3/400368767664

Unfortunately, the missing C17 has to be 39nF, so Hans is sending me one..  :(

This postpones my video unfortunately, but then I will be able to add a bit on upgrading the firmware.

Gil.

Steve 7931

Quote from: gil on October 25, 2017, 08:27:02 AM
QuoteThat T1 was a bear alright, but I got it wound and installed. Sorry about your missing parts, that's a bummer. Here's mine.

Good work Joel, your T1 looks much better than mine but no way 68 turns was going to look good.

Now I need to put up that 8010P end-fed on the roof...

QuoteMine is serial number 1668 and should be sent mid November. Excited

Which band Steve?  Mine will be for 80 metres

Gil.

Steve 7931

Hello Gil
Mine will be for 80 metrs

Need to work out a decent antenna for 80 , while I wait for the radio,
Did have a dipole, but that was not very successful.
So will try with an end fed, and use my ZM 2 atu to begin with

73 Steve

gil

Quote from: Steve 7931 on October 26, 2017, 07:01:43 AM
Hello Gil
Mine will be for 80 metrs

Need to work out a decent antenna for 80 , while I wait for the radio,
Did have a dipole, but that was not very successful.
So will try with an end fed, and use my ZM 2 atu to begin with

73 Steve
A W3EDP would work great with the ZM-2...

Gil

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Steve 7931

Gil

W3 EDP not known to me. So will research and let you know

Steve