New QRP Labs 5W CW Transceiver Kit.

Started by gil, August 21, 2017, 07:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cockpitbob

Anyone already have plans for the enclosure?  I signed up for the QRP-labs group(like a yahoo group) and someone there found a metal enclosure that's a perfect fit.  There's pic in the link below, but I'm not sure you can see it without joining.
https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/topic/qcx_perfect_encosure/6080634?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,6080634

Here's the link to the box:  $11.46 shipped from China
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Split-body-Extruded-Aluminum-Box-Enclosure-Case-Project-electronic-DIY-110-88-38/380955959898?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D45728%26meid%3D43bf45d8db544dbaa54e6904f2953a22%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D171357381954&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I'm toying with the idea of designing a 3D printed box.  It won't be metal/shielded, but it will be lighter and I can incorporate a battery compartment or make room for an EFHW coupler.  I also don't feel like trying to put a neat, perfectly square hole for the display in an extruded box or fuss with getting the length of a bunch of standoffs just right :P  OTOH, I've found 3D designing an enclosure is very time consuming and tedious (at least for me ::))

gil

Thanks Bob! I still don't have mine. It's been 25 days since shipping...

Gil.

Steve 7931

OK. After reading through this topic, I have placed an order for the QRP Labs 5W CW Transceiver kit. Today.
I just had to join in the fun.
I am new to this site and fairly new to the hobby, licensed in 2014.  However I did build my first 80 m radio transmitter in. 1968 !!!  It took till I retired to find the time to study and pass the Exams. Now a full UK Licence holder and holder of a French callsign as I have retired to France.

My radios include a Kx1,  a K2 , and  MTR 5 B  ,  all for QRP Operation in the field.

As a longtime Scout, I have long interest in Survival and Prepping Subjects with radio being the latest addition to the skills levels acquired.

73 Steve

cockpitbob

Hi Steve, and WELCOME aboard the board! ;D
That's a great selection of radios you have.  The only thing missing is a Pixie, 49er or Frog Sounds so you can claim you've made HF contacts on a radio you built for less than $20 ::)

Steve 7931

Hi
Done that !!! Sir,

Cant say it was a big success however

gil

Hi Steve, where are you located in France?

My kit was returned to Japan! Sent again a couple days ago... Now I have to wait another two weeks!  :(

Gil.

cockpitbob

Quote from: gil on October 20, 2017, 11:31:05 AM
My kit was returned to Japan! Sent again a couple days ago... Now I have to wait another two weeks!  :(

Gil.
Nuts!  Sorry to hear that.  It seems they have a problem with their supplier's shipping.  Not the first time this has happened, I believe.

gil

Quote from: cockpitbob on October 20, 2017, 01:52:43 PM
Quote from: gil on October 20, 2017, 11:31:05 AM

Gil.
Nuts!  Sorry to hear that.  It seems they have a problem with their supplier's shipping.  Not the first time this has happened, I believe.
Right... They probably sold a thousand... I hope I get it... You'd think the Japanese would be efficient... Seems like China is getting ahead for shipping reliability...

Gil

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Steve 7931

Hi,
Sorry to hear that Gil about the delivery problems, at least you will not be too far ahead of me in the build timming !!!
I need to wait till middle of November I think before mine. is shipped, then plus two/three weeks before arrival.

I live about 40 miles inland of La Rochelle , near Vovent  85120

I was hoping eventually that we make contact on the airwaves, a perfect distance for trialing regional distance comms.

I have much in common with you I think ( Flying , sailing,  radio, ) so it may be some time before we run out of things to chat about !!!

Check out QRZ.COM   M0ZSM  for a short bio

Steve

gil

QuoteI was hoping eventually that we make contact on the airwaves, a perfect distance for trialing regional distance comms.

Definitely, I'll let you know when I get a more permanent setup...

Gil.

caulktel

My QCX showed up this morning, YAAAAA! Now to find some uninterrupted time to build it. Probably start on it Mon morning after my wife goes to work and all is quiet. I noticed it came with the 1.00b firmware, so First thing after building it will be to attempt to upgrade to 100.c.

Joel
N6ALT

caulktel

One more thing, are any of you guys going to use IC sockets or just solder the chips? I have some good quality machined pin sockets, but I don't want to introduce any problems either. I have never experienced any problems using sockets, but there is always the first time. Your opinions matter.

Joel
N6ALT

cockpitbob

Mine (which I still haven't started assembling) also came with 1.00b firmware.  I think I've got a spare Arduino Uno kicking around somewhere from when the boys were doing that in high school.

I'm on the fence for sockets.  I usually use them because they make me feel good knowing I can swap out a chip, and I've never had a problem using sockets.  On the other hand I can't count the years since I've had to replace a chip on something like this.  For this kit I  think it will depend on my mood ::)

caulktel

I bought a EFE 40 on eBay, it's a 40 meter SSB QRP rig. It came with all the chips in sockets and completely preassembled, board only. It worked great for a couple of hours and then went dead on receive. It turns out that one of the 4 NE602, (yes 4!), mixer chips went belly up. I just popped it out and stuck another one out of my drawer and I was back on the air. It ran for years until I decided to clean out the shack and I sold it for 40 bucks more than I paid for it mounted in a nice black case. I could have sucked the chip off the board, but wasn't sure whether is was the culprit or not, so it sure made trouble shooting the problem easier. Still, I don't know whether I want to do it on the QCX or not.

Joel
N6ALT