Hurricane Sandy

Started by RadioRay, October 26, 2012, 08:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Tiger

Quote from: KC9TNH on October 30, 2012, 02:33:35 PM
Quote from: White Tiger on October 30, 2012, 12:56:27 AMI'm thinking when the battery dies in his cell...he's going to start asking questions about ham radio and food storage.

...I never told him the level of preparedness I'm at - I just asked a lot of questions - hopefully he's thinking about them right now.

****anyone catch the bulletin from the National Weather Service regarding the strength of the storm and it's historic proportions? After thanking numerous watching services (including Skywarn), in an attempt to drive home how important it was to obey the evacuation notices - they asked folks intending to "ride out the storm" to notify family/ friends of what to do "...if you don't survive..."
How about a window into what such an event causes in terms of traditional power loss...?

http://www.oe.netl.doe.gov/named_event.aspx?ID=67

Click on your favorite daily SITREP.
excellent "window", thanks KC - wow, 8.2 million homes without power in the affected areas...that is just stunning!?
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

cockpitbob

My house has 2 sump pumps.  I have a small generator to run them from extension cords if the power goes out during heavy rains, but today I decided that isn't enough.  I just had an electrician come over to quote a generator transfer switch.  I'm about to put a 6KW generator in the shed that can run the essentials:  sump pumps, refrigerators, heat, a lights, ham gear, etc.

Sunflower

Quote from: cockpitbob on October 26, 2012, 09:15:58 AM
I'm 10 miles inland in northern Massachusetts.  We may get the snot kicked out of us.  I've got a 5KW generator to keep the house's sump pumps, refrigerators and some lights going.  Tomorrow I'm making sure I've got enough fuel, food and booze for a 2 weeks+.  I might go the the library and get a book and a couple movies for when the internet is down.  We are down in a hole which is bad for ham radio but good for wind damage.  My biggest worry is the basement flooding and a tree coming down on the house, but the trees are loosing their leaves which reduces the wind forces on them.

So how did things turn out? Are you OK?

cockpitbob

Quote from: Sunflower on November 02, 2012, 09:04:37 PM
Quote from: cockpitbob on October 26, 2012, 09:15:58 AM
I'm 10 miles inland in northern Massachusetts.  We may get the snot kicked out of us.  I've got a 5KW generator to keep the house's sump pumps, refrigerators and some lights going.  Tomorrow I'm making sure I've got enough fuel, food and booze for a 2 weeks+.  I might go the the library and get a book and a couple movies for when the internet is down.  We are down in a hole which is bad for ham radio but good for wind damage.  My biggest worry is the basement flooding and a tree coming down on the house, but the trees are loosing their leaves which reduces the wind forces on them.

So how did things turn out? Are you OK?
Sandy turned West sooner than previously forecast, so the nasty stuff passed 200 miles south of us.  It was a non-event.  2"-3" of rain and enough wind to cover my yard with dead twigs and branches from the trees.  It'll take me and my boy 2hrs to clean the wood off the yard, but the trees have been cleaned of dead wood so I probably won't have to pick up a twig off my grass for a year :D

White Tiger

Also heard Sandy had fewer associated tornadoes than any previous storm...some might call that luck...then again it's cold, there's no power, no gasoline...and food is running low...
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.