Code Copy Practice (a bit differently)

Started by KC9TNH, June 11, 2013, 10:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC9TNH

Just a thought for the group, especially those who may be just delving into CW.
(CAVEAT: Not talking about head-copy of a conversation where it's possible simply to get the 'gist' of something even if not concerned with every character, or that certain sequences are already recognized as words.)

While studying up on the KX3 manual last night I had W1AW in the background, with the ever-present steno pad & rollerball at hand a few inches away.
Found my right hand picking up the pen & scribbling along and then noticed a trap that sometimes comes from copying recognizable words. Even though the QST magazine text they were using was unknown to me, I found myself tending to fill in words based on rules of English usage, context, etc.  This can be death to the ability needed sometimes to copy something 100%, as well as associating sound with character, vs. running that mental spreadsheet in our head that causes one to eventually hit "the wall."  Having filled in the last characters of a word the brain goes into neutral briefly.  (Then if you're playing catch-up you're into a whole 'nuther nutroll.)

I can't speak to how it might've been for others (especially Ray 'cause he's "out there" :D) but the mil world used 5-character random groups for sending & copy practice (and tests) because a) you could easily go back and ask someone just to repeat a specific group and b) it taught 100% copy when it matters.  Even voice-transmitted messages sent nowadays carry the obligation by someone who's actually passing traffic to relay the EXACT message, not the gist of what they think it means.

Long way 'round the barn, but I wondered if anyone had an interest in just doing random-character copy practice across the ether; maybe even make a game of it and just post or send back to the sender what they "think" they copied - or the sender could afterward post here what was sent.  There are pages & pages of tables from the various MIL tech manuals over the years one could use for source material.  We'd have to work out a basic time of day (or two) and from that the appropriate band that would meet the needs of those in a given area.  (For those reluctant to post their location or call, at least a general region or state would be helpful.)

Wouldn't take but a few minutes at a crack.  Also, this would be something that could be played by anyone here with the proper gear to receive, including Tech licensees and Short-Wave Listeners. Just something that occurred to me; fire away as to whether you think it's worth pursuing. (I recognize that it might take someone with either a big signal or to be regionalized for a workable band in a given area for those who would be listening to a low-power transmitter.)

Just taking some input; nothing to be jumped into.

KK0G

I know exactly what you mean about sometimes going into neutral when copying ARRL practice sessions, many times it's very easy to predict the next word as soon as the first or second character is sent simply from the overall context of what's being sent, occasionally I can predict the next several words before any character at all is sent. This doesn't help my code proficiency but it's a definite advantage in an actual QSO with heavy QRN, QRM, QSB, etc.

I think the key to real code proficiency is to be immersed in it from many different angles; ARRL practice sessions, on air QSO's, software generated random words/number groups, etc. You have a good idea but I think the problem will be in logistics; running enough power into an excellent antenna and generating enough interest to keep it going. Maybe do it as a relay setup where you send it to me, I send it to the next station, they send it on to the next etc. That way you don't run into the problem of a net control station that can only be heard by 75% of the stations.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KC9TNH

Quote from: KK0G on June 11, 2013, 10:50:16 AMI think the key to real code proficiency is to be immersed in it from many different angles; ARRL practice sessions, on air QSO's, software generated random words/number groups, etc. You have a good idea but I think the problem will be in logistics; running enough power into an excellent antenna and generating enough interest to keep it going. Maybe do it as a relay setup where you send it to me, I send it to the next station, they send it on to the next etc. That way you don't run into the problem of a net control station that can only be heard by 75% of the stations.
You're trackin' - and I like your idea ALOT; much more workable than mine.