Colorado Flooding and Ham Radio

Started by RadioRay, September 13, 2013, 04:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

For all the bluster on many ham forums, usually by the same crowd, it's proven repeatedly that ham radio is often how information makes it out of stricken areas. Anexample is the HEAVY rainfall that fell onto the northeastern watershed of the Rocky mountains, often causing walls of water, mud and debris to roar down the narrow canyons, causing tremendous damage.  I use to live there and know the terrain well.

Here's a Tweet from the Laramer County Sheriff:

3:50 PM
TwitterLarimer Sheriff @LarimerSheriff
Estes Park Fire tells us through our ham radio friends
that students stuck at YMCA camp are being taken out
over Trail Ridge Road.

So, once again, the facts are quite different from the 'cell phones never fail , trunked systems never fail' and etc. I probably know some of the hams up the mountain handling this emergency.

>RadioRay ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

cockpitbob

This helps clarify the case for having mobile & portable capability.  In these situations a ham in his basement isn't as useful as one that can get to where the people in need are.

Quietguy

Quote from: RadioRay on September 13, 2013, 04:05:35 PMthe facts are quite different from the 'cell phones never fail
A fire guy from my county's largest city was giving a presentation on emergency response a couple of years ago and said something along the lines of "people who say cell phones don't fail have never tried to make a call at the same time the high school lets out".

Wally