American Blackout - by National Geographic

Started by RadioRay, October 29, 2013, 09:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

NatGeo had this program on Sunday night.  I think that because of this program, the Preppers (TAPRN) HF voice net had three people...  instead of the dozen or more that we usually have. I have read reviews about this TV 'docudrama' that it is "GREAT!" and also that it's a "piece of %$^&!" and all kinds of opinions in between.  Having not watched it, I have no opinion, but here is a link to YouTube where someone posted the full TV program.  Who knows how long it might be available. 

http://youtu.be/PreJvrljihI

>>> Because there is a 'prepper' in this TV show.  I am expecting him to do very, very poorly, because that's what TV teaches us, but maybe this will be different...

de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

RichardSinFWTX

I've got it in the DVR but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

I'm watching "When Aliens Attack" from the Discovery Science channel right now.

RadioRay

"When Aliens Attack"
I don't suppose this have anything to do with our southern border ?

ha ha

De RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

raybiker73

I DVR'd it and watched it late Sunday night, so I'll try my best at a spoiler-free review.

The overall vibe was scary as hell, which is good. The show was clearly aimed at people who have never considered preparing for the worst, and I think it will do a good job of frightening some of them into action.

Production quality was decent. When I saw that it was going to be mostly "footage" from cell phones and whatnot, I was afraid it would be time for some Cloverfield-style seasickness, but it was pretty well put together.

My main gripe is that, while the various stories it followed were OK, there wasn't much in the way of context re: prepping. It showed a lot of mistakes that people made, but didn't bother showing much in the way of how to avoid those mistakes. For people already familiar with the world of prepping, that's fine, but for the newcomer, it could be kind of bewildering.

It's worth a watch, but it's not something I'll leave on the DVR for future viewing.

>>> The hardcore prepper was indeed portrayed as kind of a tool, with some of the expected stereotypes, but they actually didn't go out of their way to portray him as overly dangerous, just enough that non-preppers would probably see him as a little on the nutty side.

RichardSinFWTX

Quote from: RadioRay on October 30, 2013, 12:00:57 AM
"When Aliens Attack"
I don't suppose this have anything to do with our southern border ?

ha ha

De RadioRay ..._ ._

Close!  More like tactics at Home Depot!

RichardSinFWTX

Last night the Weather Channel had a show about the sinking of the HMS Bounty during Hurricane Sandy.  I wanna see if they talk any about ham/marine band radio.