ARRL Centennial QSO Party

Started by KC5FM, December 30, 2013, 04:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC5FM

"The ARRL Centennial QSO Party is a year-long operating event that celebrates hams making contacts. In the end you will have accumulated points, worked new stations and made new friends all over the world.

The Centennial QSO Party is made-up of two main activities: (1) W1AW operating portable in each state and most territories; and (2) The Centennial Points Challenge which is the accumulation of points from qualifying contacts made throughout 2014. To have a score listed online in the Points Challenge competition, logs must be submitted through the Logbook of the World (LoTW) system.

W1AW will be on the air from every state and most territories, and it will be easy to work WAS working only W1AW portable operations. This is the first ARRL-sponsored operating event where every member is worth at least one point, so work as many points as you can during 2014! Earn awards based upon points, working all states or working W1AW portable in every state and territory. This is an on-the-air event like no other." http://bit.ly/1fPtx6f

Lloyd, KC5FM

WA4STO

I'm not big on contests, but the ARRL Centennial isn't really a contest. 

Sure does sound like a lot of fun, though.

I'm worth 100 points for every qualifying QSO with my station.

Best 73

Luck, WA4STO

extra_class_ham

I have logged 2 of the W1AW stations, one from Hawaii W1AW/KH6 and a portable from Texas W1AW/5   ;D

gil

Another week-end I won't be able to use the radio... The ARRL won't get a penny from me until they establish some courtesy rules for their events. Courtesy and contests seem to be incompatible however...

Gil.

kat

Ran a feld hell bingo event yesterday and the cw Ops were all over the bands.   Glad the hell event was only 2 hours, otherwise I would have not done it.  Courtesy wasn't there at all during this time.

Sent from my Nexus 7

cockpitbob

They're at it again.  W1AW/5 has a pile-up right on the 7.030 QRP calling frequency.  I just sent W1AW a polite but pissed off email.  I'll watch to see if they move.

I would think for an event this big they would train their operators better.

And much to my suprise I got a reply email thanking me.

RadioRay

This and several other reasons are why I do not have any personal reason to support the ARRL.  Most civilised nations do quite well without them and I'd like the U.S.  to be the next one...    :o

de RadioRay ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

mdmc

Sometimes I sit and listen to one of them for awhile. Quite often, another on will show up on the same frequency and they can't hear each other.  :o
Other times one will occupy a frequency with the mentality that "This frequency is mine, I own it until I am though".  ??? Then...
Eventually another one comes along and starts his CQ not waiting to see if the frequency is in use.  :-[
The first frequency squatter comes unwound at the new frequency squatter.  >:( 
It's hilarious. ;D

Luigi

When I first started working on cw, I responded to a contest call thinking the cq call was a call for a qso. I really pissed off the other guy by asking how everything was going after supplying an accurate reception report. I really got scolded for not giving 599, a serial number and getting the hell off the frequency. What a nice way to get into a hobby. I did get an apology from the guy later on via mail on the back side of qsl card. I have to give him some credit for that.

In times like these it is best to go to the WARC bands. Contesting is a perplexing activity. Some like it, and I guess the challenge is important for some. Does anyone here dial random phone numbers to see how many people they can call in a day? That seems pointless so why do it on a qrp frequency at high power on top of an existing conversation? Okay I am off of my soapbox.
Luigi

gil

QuoteThat seems pointless so why do it on a qrp frequency at high power on top of an existing conversation?

Because some people, many contesters, are inconsiderate assholes.

Gil.

cockpitbob

10 more days and the ARRL's year long Centennial band jammer is over.

Luigi

Whatever you do, do not key "599 or 5NN" in any QSO that you are having with a non-contester. The contesters out there will jump all over you if you do so. They are looking for "599 or 5NN" in the transmission. If they see it, then will QRM you.

Here is a likely scenario:
You have been in a qso with someone. Band conditions change or tuning is needed. After making a change or two, the question gets asked about signal quality. You send 5NN and the next thing you know, you cannot hear each other because 20-30 people are hammering you with their call signs. It really sucks when that happens. You ask the offending parties to stop and most of them still keep breaking in on the QSO. The letters kn are meaningless to some.  The QSO is over.

Luigi

gil

You can however send a 469, because they have no idea what that means... They can only copy call signs, 5NN, and TEST... NEVER send words like "testicles!"

Gil.

RadioRay

When I read on other ham forums about contesting 'Well, at least the bands are being USED."
- so contesting is good.-

That to me is rather like the rioting in Ferguson, New York, Boston and etc.

"Well at least the streets are being USED."
otherwise they might take them away from us - so rioting is good.

moo-ha-ha!

de RadioRay ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Luigi

Super analogy. Riots and Streets. I need to remember that one.

We have a right to be on the air, but a responsibility to be polite. :)

Thanks for the laughs with the analogy.
Luigi