EFHW QRP radial?

Started by PBrad74, May 02, 2019, 06:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PBrad74

First off, I'd like to say hello. I joined radio preppers yesterday so look forward to catching up on some reading here. I have been a technician since 2013 and have mostly 2m band from my vehicle, no base station. However, within the last year I have ordered and built the QRP Labs QCX 5W kit for 40m, which works amazing for the $49 that I paid. I am in the process of learning CW from lcwo.net and the K7QO Code Course from FISTS store. I also include listening in on 40m as daily practice with the MFJ 1984-LP (end fed half wave) as my antenna. So this leaves me with a few questions. For qrp operations while out hiking/camping, would a radial be beneficial or do I even need one? Does it need to be grounded? As I mentioned earlier, I'm still learning so I won't be doing any transmitting at all but I want to take it camping next weekend, set it up and listen in on all the QSO's. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

AdventureRider29

Hi,
I think QRP will be more effective with a ground Radial or Counterpoise!  Running good QRP requires a GOOOOOD Antenna System to really get out! Just S 1 to 2 signals is not good with 5 watts or Less. Good Luck on your Moarse Code and hope to hear you on the Bands. De WV1Q
Motorman
Serving Since 1987
USMC, Seabee Reserves and Ret. MD LEO

gil

Hello,

Radials are not necessary for half-wave end-fed antennas. You essentially will detune your antenna with radials. It's already a half wave, no need to add more wire. Some say that a short 0.05wl counterpoise helps, on 40m that's 3.3ft... I have never needed one. Radials are for quarter-wave verticals, not half-wave wires.

Gil.