The Importance of NVIS on 40/80m and a great antenna book.

Started by gil, May 26, 2015, 06:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

QuoteThe handbook you mention sounds like the 18E(SF Commo) handbook.]The handbook you mention sounds like the 18E(SF Commo) handbook.

Hello Hank,

I can't find this one on the Internet. I sure hope it can be identified positively. It's a great book.

Gil.

madball13

Quote from: gil on August 03, 2015, 01:11:42 PM
The handbook you mention sounds like the 18E(SF Commo) handbook.

Hello Hank,

I can't find this one on the Internet. I sure hope it can be identified positively. It's a great book.

Gil.

Gil,
Link is not a link.

gil

madball13

Quote from: gil on August 03, 2015, 02:00:26 PM
Sorry, I meant to quote ::)

Gil.

Much better. I thought you actually found the manual, drag.... :(

NavySEAL

My suggestion is to go to a SF forum and state your case......who you are.....what you do........etc............spec-ops folks are kinda leary these days so you might have to jump through a couple of hoops...........I will search the naval end and see if any SEAL has the manual.
NS

hank scorpio

I don't have a link to it, or know where there is one for sale. Sparks31 however, if any here are familiar with him, has a chapter from that book in his book, Grid Down Communications.

Honestly though, all of the relevant info gained from that FM can also be attained from the ARRL antenna book. They're geared to different audiences, but the knowledge base is the same and personally I find the ARRL books easier to read. FMs have always been as stale as an MRE cracker.

hank scorpio

After some asking around, I've found FM 31-20...

http://www.amazon.com/SPECIAL-FORCES-OPERATIONAL-TECHNIQUES-31-20/dp/1581605463

I'm not sure if this is the same copy as what you have Gil, but there's a section on Communications and antennas. There's a lot of other neat info as well.

gil

QuoteI'm not sure if this is the same copy as what you have Gil, but there's a section on Communications and antennas.

Nope, unfortunately. Mine is entirely about antennas. The illustrations show that it was written before computers. It looks to be from the 50s, 60s or even maybe 70s at the very latest. To test of it is the same, look at chapter 7 "Indoor Antennas in Rural Areas." If it is the same, bingo!

Gil.

Sig357

Gil,

The book title is ST 31-157.  Special Forces Antennas.

I am looking for a copy.

Sig

gil