Hello and New Practice Site

Started by lankford, October 21, 2013, 01:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lankford

Hi all,

My name is Matt ( KV4QR Extra ). I have read hundreds of articles / responses on this board and finally joined. I am interested in keeping in touch with my brother who is in Annapolis MD and I am in the Atlanta area among other things like :

NVIS for when the repeaters are not there
CW for low power / backpack ( I don't know CW very well but created www.myhamstuff.com to help me learn )
Low power rigs

As for prepping in general, I think knowledge is more important than gadgets and have spent quite a long time acquiring skills that help in many different situations.

I am sure to get more involved here over time but will just say hi for now and thanks to you all for being a pretty cool / level headed community.

matt

gil

Welcome aboard Matt. Nice site. The feeds work great, nothing else seems to work on Safari, or I am not using the site properly. It is a bit confusing without explanations.. Most of those abbreviations I have never heard, and would confuse me in a QSO. I like to spell things out and only use the most common abbreviations. They are useful, but too many have a negative effect on comprehension. As to your choice of CW, of course I applaud with both hands  ;)

Gil.

KK0G

Welcome to Radio Preppers Matt, I too applaud your efforts to learn code. Hang in there, you'll probably learn it faster than you think and then one day it just clicks.

I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to memorize abbreviations, if it's obscure enough that it requires you to learn it's meaning, chances are very likely the other guy won't know what it means either. Most all of them you'll encounter on the air will be pretty obvious (shud, cud, sum, tnx, fer) especially when used in context; "BN HAM FER 14 YRS".

Good luck.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

White Tiger

If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

Joe

RadioRay

Hey Matt,

Welcome aboard.  As for learning Morse, it's going to be ery enjoyable and useful.  Most of the radio skeds going on here are in Morse so far. HF voice would be fine as well.  Experience has shown so far though, that the reliability of low power Morse is quite high, while to maintain that same reliability in voice would require much more signal strength.  The 'math' matches the actual experiences. 

Some HF voice alternative nets you might enjoy are via  www.taprn.com   and    www.radiofreeredoubt.com  .  This is not 'affiliated' with this site, but they're preppers who are 'actually doing it' as far as HF voice and data are concerned.

BTW - Georgia to Annapolis should be an easy shot on HF.

de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Archangel320420

lankford

Thanks for the warm welcome...

As for the site, there is not really much more to the site... I just created it kinda for myself to have fresh stuff to de-code on a regular basis... I am sure at some point I will try to make it more useful....

As for the abbreviations... I got them out of the ARRL handbook... I think they would confuse me as well... I also like to spell things out Gil... even on 2 meter... I just say "have a great night... it was great talking with you" instead of 73... I just ain't that cool... ;)

Personally I think the Koch method looks to be a little more to my liking... but I still wanted something to de-code... and kinda thought other people might want to use it too...

matt

gil

QuoteI just say "have a great night... it was great talking with you" instead of 73... I just ain't that cool...

What I find very weird is when people say "hi hi" instead of laughing..  ::) In Morse code, sure, it's only dots and real fast.. No other way to laugh in Morse code... But on FM  :o

I don't use any codes on VHF, or SSB for that matter, but of course I use those modes very rarely..

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: gil on October 21, 2013, 10:48:07 PM
What I find very weird is when people say "hi hi" instead of laughing..
If people only realized how ridiculous it sounds when the do that. They would never do that speaking with someone right in front of them yet they somehow think it's appropriate over the air............ weird.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

cockpitbob

Welcome aboard Matt!

I like your site.  It's nice to have something different to decode and current news is a pleasing change.  I expect I'll be visiting it regularly.