Pro and Con of Various QRP Rigs as survival radios

Started by swxx, August 25, 2017, 11:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarr

Watertight radio would be nice but not a must have for me - if it will fit in a small watertight case.

I've been looking at getting a MTR 3b lately and had been thinking about mounting it with a ZM-2 tuner, 8AA battery pack and morse key semi permanently in a small watertight case like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/K%C3%BCchenprofi-Lunch-Box-Anthracite-23/dp/B00FZR4RUW/

I'd route the cables inside so that the only cables running externally would be the feedline and headphones.

Thinking about it more, I hate the fact that the radios themselves don't have an inbuilt SWR meter and it's making me reconsider the whole idea. I've had occasions where when listening with a resonant antenna everything seemed to be fine, but upon keying up, the SWR reading was off the scale - be it coax/connector issues, whatever. Using a tuner in-line with a resonant antenna is just going to result in pointless losses - maybe a tiny amount, but needless.

I dunno. The ideal radio is not out there, but the PFR-3B is the closest.

cockpitbob

Interesting idea for a case.  I put my MTR and a bunch of accessories in a Pelican-1060.  It's about the same size.  I like the clear lid.
https://smile.amazon.com/Pelican-1060-Micro-Carabiner-Clear/dp/B001PYOYP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504395042&sr=8-1&keywords=pelican+1060
It has a removable soft rubber liner for the floor and walls which is nice but adds weight.

swxx

How about making these cases (N)EMP proof? Any ideas there? It'd be nice to be able to make a lunch box NEMP proof.

Jon_Garfio

I don't like the bottons for change frecuency of mtr5b and mtr3 and that no input more than 12v exactly but the people who has it are glad.

I own a Tentec R4030 (youkits HB1A more o less) and I am very happy with it, in fact, I don't use my 817ND never in CW since I bought the tentec.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro
Sapere aude

swxx

Quote from: Jon_Garfio on September 05, 2017, 04:42:55 AM
I don't like the bottons for change frecuency of mtr5b and mtr3 and that no input more than 12v exactly but the people who has it are glad.
This two reasons also why I don't like MTR!

I own a Tentec R4030 (youkits HB1A more o less) and I am very happy with it, in fact, I don't use my 817ND never in CW since I bought the tentec.
Now this rig is not being made? I found this which says the R4030 is not made by Ten-Tec, but it is? But on Ten-Tec website is not longer listed. Maybe they stopped to make it? How much this rig costs or only available now second hand? Was it a kit or ready built? Very good specs, my only problem with this rig is I would need 40/30/20 at minimum, not just 40/30. But otherwise it's great!

gil

QuoteI don't like the bottons for change frecuency of mtr5b and mtr3

Funny, I really like the buttons. The DFE, direct frequency entry with paddles is awesome too!

Gil.

cockpitbob

I also have an old Ten-Tech R4020 and really like it.  I hate to admit it, but I like having a knob to twist more than buttons to push ::).  I also like having all that info right on the display, but I'm a bit ADD so that's understandable...."Crap! I just checked my frequency 30 seconds ago and I already forgot it.  Now I have to push the button again and...Oh look!  A squirrel!"

gil

The MTR won't let you transmit out of band, so who cares what frequency you're one  :o

Gil.

Jon_Garfio

Quote from: swxx on September 05, 2017, 11:42:25 AM
This two reasons also why I don't like MTR!

Now this rig is not being made? I found this which says the R4030 is not made by Ten-Tec, but it is? But on Ten-Tec website is not longer listed. Maybe they stopped to make it? How much this rig costs or only available now second hand? Was it a kit or ready built? Very good specs, my only problem with this rig is I would need 40/30/20 at minimum, not just 40/30. But otherwise it's great!

Tentec R4030 or R4020 are discontinued, I bought it second hand in ebay.

Actually there is a Youkits HB1B, improved (more bands, swr meter..).

Anyway, the better way to take idea about both is that you test it (LNR and Youkits) or almost watch videos about it.

All the people who know that has a Youkits/Tentec are glad, same all the people who has a LNR.

Sapere aude

swxx

Quote from: gil on September 06, 2017, 07:19:22 AM
The MTR won't let you transmit out of band, so who cares what frequency you're one  :o

Gil.
That's a minus point from most of these rigs that makes it less suitable as a Survival Radio. When there is life-saving issues, being able to transmit outside the band is a requisite, not just for MARS frequencies, but to avoid QRM or for quiet skeds etc.

Quote from: Jon_Garfio on September 06, 2017, 08:16:29 AM
All the people who know that has a Youkits/Tentec are glad, same all the people who has a LNR.
And I think all those who have PFR-3b too! It is difficult. It still is a fact that even very hard to choose between them all, NONE of them are ideal for survival radio. But they do come CLOSE!

gil

vwflyer

Currently I have both the MTR-3B and the HB-1B. At first I thought I would get them both, try them both out, and sell the one I liked the least. Well, that was the plan I told myself since I was having trouble justifying buying two rigs that would fit the same job of portable QRP. But I can't make up my mind. AHHH!
Normally, I use the HB-1B, mostly due to its knob (I prefer the knob), the frequency readout that's always right there, (you don't have to stop tuning and then hit the freq. button to see where you stopped), and the SWR meter. I also like to listen to AM and SSB on occasion with it. For operating in my shack, or in my backyard, or in the park, or while car camping, I usually turn to my HB-1B.
When I'm traveling by plane (small Cessna mostly but also commercial) I always take the MTR. It's smaller size and weight is enough that when counting the ounces it makes a difference. Also when I've got the rig in a backpack for hiking to the top of a hill for a SOTA activation I take the MTR, again ounces are pounds there. Those niceties of the HB-1B look sooooo much less important when you have to pack it 1000' vertically.
All practicality aside, the MTR has a lot of personality. It's uniqueness gives it a sense of fun novelty. It's like my old Collins tube rig from my grandfather. It's not nearly has fast and easy to use as any new solid state rig but there's just something about twisting those big knobs and looking for the dip in plate current that is just fun at times. I don't know why but the MTR gives me that kind of enjoyment to operate at times, so when the mood hits, the HB-1B just wont do.
In the end I convinced myself that no good prepper (as if I were one of those) ever just has one of anything. 

cockpitbob

Quote from: swxx on September 06, 2017, 08:55:12 AMIt is difficult. It still is a fact that even very hard to choose between them all, NONE of them are ideal for survival radio. But they do come CLOSE!

Quote from: vwflyer on September 06, 2017, 02:05:07 PM
In the end I convinced myself that no good prepper (as if I were one of those) ever just has one of anything.
And there you have it.  Own 2 (or more! ::) )

If there really was such a thing as the Perfect Prepping Radio, would you be wise to own just one?  I think the MTR plus a HB-1B or something similar with more convenience and SSB receive capability makes a nice pair.  Each is perfect for certain situations, and if one is stolen by the roving hoards of looters, the other will be perfectly OK for all uses.

Jon_Garfio

Vwflyer, perfect definition of both rigs.

I have Tentec (youkits) but if I could get a mtr3 better to have the couple.

I am learning so much with this post (thanks Gil for forum)

Sapere aude