EBT Outage

Started by KK0G, October 13, 2013, 11:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KK0G

http://www.kwwl.com/story/23676104/2013/10/12/ebt-card-outage-prevents-purchases-in-iowa-and-other-states-contingency-available

I think most of us here are aware of the significance of an EBT outage. This time it was down for only 10 hours, what happens when if it goes down for days? Weeks? When people with a "government owes me" attitude are facing starvation, things can get real ugly real fast.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Joe

I was reading some of the tweets that people had posted, system was only down a few hours and people where already talking about rioting. Anything past 24hrs I think we would see disorder start. The first thing that popped in my mind was it happened on a Banking 3 day weekend.

RadioRay

Was this an oops, a test a warning from a cyber-warfare unit of a at might be done to destroy much of America from within, using the race problems as a weapon?

De RadioRay. ...-   .-
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

All the pieces for a shitstorm are already in place; generations of people raised to believe that government owes them; consequently these same people have done ZERO preparation to take care of themselves; the entire EBT system is completely reliant on a computerized system; and finally practically every grocery store in the nation works on a "just in time" inventory delivery system which it self is completely reliant on a computerized system and the delivery trucks with their computerized system. It's all a very fragile system that requires perfect balance to continue to operate, if any piece of the system fails the whole thing crashes.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

raybiker73

There was a great piece about this incident over at Ace of Spades today. It's well worth a read:

http://minx.cc/?post=344137

Civil unrest is as valid a reason to prep as any, maybe even more so. It's also a blunt reminder that the two pillars on which all your prepping rest are OpSec and Secrecy. Once the shelves are bare at Wally World, and if people know your pantry is full, guess where they'll be heading next.

KK0G

"This story reminds me of the old saying that when you owe the bank a thousand dollars and can't pay it back, you have a big problem; when you owe the bank amillion dollars and can't pay it back, the bank has a big problem."
[/size]
[/size]How true.

KK0G

Quietguy

Quote from: raybiker73 on October 14, 2013, 09:59:06 PM
Civil unrest is as valid a reason to prep as any, maybe even more so.

Absolutely - you want the ability to decide for yourself not to venture out for any reason and not have to worry about getting needed supplies.  If your pantry is deep enough you can put off resupply until things calm down.  Riots, hurricanes, floods, snowstorms, etc are not the time to discover you just ran out of ____  and need to make a store run.

People everywhere would do well to plan as if they were in California where the four seasons are Fire, Flood, Earthquake and Riot.

Wally

raybiker73

Quote from: Quietguy on October 15, 2013, 12:05:35 AM
People everywhere would do well to plan as if they were in California where the four seasons are Fire, Flood, Earthquake and Riot.

Wally

That reminds me of the old (and true) joke about Pennsylvania, where our four seasons are Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter and Surface Of The Sun.

KC9TNH

Quote from: RadioRay on October 14, 2013, 01:38:09 AM
Was this an oops, a test a warning from a cyber-warfare unit of a at might be done to destroy much of America from within, using the race problems as a weapon?

De RadioRay. ...-   .-
+1 There are people whose whole post-secondary education - years - is spent in the finest technical institutions, sponsored by the government, nurtured, valued & rewarded in the 'West Point' of cyberwar, honing their skills. Did I mention Beijing among others? A corporate site managing a critical aspect of the American trough, rather than a government-hardened site, must have looked like a grapefruit-sized hanging curve ball to Roger Maris, with "hit me" written all over it.

Joe

This was a Test, ONLY A TEST !!!

States across the country are being told to stop the supplemental nutrition assistance program for the month of November, pending further notice.

http://fox13now.com/2013/10/14/utah-families-on-food-stamps-could-be-cut-off-soon/

KC9TNH

They have been focused on insuring that mom & pop America "feel the pain" (which you're supposed to blame on a particular political opponent) and now they have upped the ante to make sure their constituency is gonna get energized. Things are about to get sporty.

RichardSinFWTX

Geek

I won't miss it.   :)

KK0G

Quote from: Geek on October 16, 2013, 09:18:35 AM
I won't miss it.   :)

Nor will I or most any of us here I assume.................. at least not directly. Unfortunately the side effects could have a HUGE impact on all of us.

KK0G