Winmor, Winlink with my KX3?

Started by gil, January 09, 2013, 06:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

So, in plain English, what do I need to send and receive emails with my KX3?

Gil.

WA4STO

Quote from: gil on January 09, 2013, 06:12:27 PM
So, in plain English, what do I need to send and receive emails with my KX3?

Gil.

I'm so ignorant of the KX3 itself, so I'll assume that it has upper sideband capability as well as a microphone jack and that you have a Windoze-based laptop and/or desktop.

1.  You'd need the RMS Express express software at:  http://rms-express.software.informer.com/

2.  You'd need a SignaLink USB device, preferably, although there are plenty of homebrew solutions.  In addition to the SLUSB, you'd need a cable to go from it to your KX3 mike jack.

That's the simple explanation you asked for, Gil.

Now, for the bad news.  If you want ALL of your email to go to the radio, that's never going to happen.  For one thing, Part 97 precludes your conducting YOUR or YOUR Employer's business.  Tim, for example, uses one of his email accounts to conduct his employer's business.  Not going to happen on amateur frequencies.  Worse, you may find system operators along the forwarding paths who utterly fail to recognize that we changed the rules back in the early 90s so as to be much more flexible in that regard.   Such sysops may cut your email short.  Never had that happen, but the faulty reasoning still lingers, particularly on voice repeaters.

Secondly, the 'email' that WINMOR supports is very low 'file size' in nature.  I know that the majority of the internet-based email I get is so bloated with graphics and pure junque, that the system would choke.

On the other hand, you can fully expect to arrange with your fellow preppers or other correspondents to send text-only or even small spreadsheet type files via the radio port like we do now with our small group of PREPNET folks, including Tim, Tom and some others.  Works well and would be especially useful for prepping purposes.

The good news is that I've been using WINMOR successfully for about six months, daily.  And just prior to the holidays, I used it extensively for about a week.  Everything well through, guaranteed, and was accepted without error.  I just love it, and I just love the  prepping possibilities.

Best 73 de Luck, WA4STO

WA4STO

Gil:  this would be an opportune time to reiterate the seriously useful things about data transfer (call it email if ya like)  via WINMOR.

1.  It compresses the data during/before/Idunnowhich transfer.  Which thus dramatically impacts the file size and the speed of transfer.

2.  See #1 above.  That compression effects OPSEC due to the fact that that nobody other than You-know-who is going to read it.

3.  It's data-rate flexibile.  When conditions allow, it ups the speed of transfer -- dramatically -- and I continue to be amazed at how well that works in our favor...

73 de LH, WA4STO

gil

QuoteOn the other hand, you can fully expect to arrange with your fellow preppers or other correspondents to send text-only or even small spreadsheet type files via the radio port like we do now with our small group of PREPNET folks, including Tim, Tom and some others.  Works well and would be especially useful for prepping purposes.

That is the whole point yes..

I don't use Windows, so I need to install it fir$t.

Isn't there some kind of automation with the SDR (KX3 is an SDR) going on to find relay stations?

Anybody has an old genuine XP CD for me?

Thanks!

Gil.

KC9TNH

Quote from: gil on January 10, 2013, 02:54:41 PM
Anybody has an old genuine XP CD for me?

Query to #1 geek child-unit is pending. He might have something laying around.
Had to send a WINMOR test to a relay in NY on 10w first...

The cable Luck mentioned is even available for the KX3:
SLCABKX3

gil

QuoteQuery to #1 geek child-unit is pending.

Thank you! Too bad they don't make a multi-platform version.
Windows sucks, I usually try to stay well away from it...

Gil.

KC9TNH

Quote from: gil on January 11, 2013, 01:13:08 AM
Thank you! Too bad they don't make a multi-platform version.
Windows sucks, I usually try to stay well away from it...

Gil.
Kid found one. He'll get it to me this weekend probably & I'll stick it in the mail to your QRZ address.
Win 7 seems to be fairly stable but, uh, it only took 'em how many years?
::)

gil

Excellent, thank you!
Now I need the Winlink box.
Won't be long before I can order one..

Gil

WA4STO

Gil -- it struck me yesterday and now I've had a little more time to think about it, that there's other ways to skin a cat that don't involve Windoze.

You could, in theory, arrange with other folks, say Tim for example, to retrieve your email and then forward it along to you by way of FLDIGI which uses all three platforms.  FLDIGI  would allow you to use a number of modes that have error-correction AND file compression.

I'm reminded of back when I was consulting all around the country.  I used a single mail service to send me my mail wherever I happened to be.  Same theory for post - SHTF email forwarding.

Using the same scheme, you could also send email.  First to Tim on the radio and then out to the world.

Nice to learn that they make a cable for the KX3.  I sure wouldn't want to be soldering one up.

73 de Luck, WA4STO

gil

Well, I want to set it up for myself.. For Winlink and also experiment with Olivia...

Gil

White Tiger

Along these lines, Luck and I have been discussing setting up a Ten Tec Omni D with a Signalink USB...anyone know if a cable exists that would work?

I want to be able to move in that direction soon...
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

KC9TNH

Quote from: gil on January 11, 2013, 11:33:16 AM
Excellent, thank you!
Now I need the Winlink box.
Won't be long before I can order one..

Gil
He burned an XP distribution for me and just dropped it off; he's been tagged all weekend shepherding genius grand-daughters to various 4H things (while I played CW during atypical times on atypical bands due to the solar bath).

I'll try to get it out to ya tomorrow from the base PO.
:)

gil