Trail Friendly Antenna Wire

Started by KK0G, April 08, 2015, 09:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KK0G

I was perusing the local Wal-Mart when I decided to go down an isle I doubt I've ever been down - the arts and crafts isle. I'm glad I did because there I found what I hope will be some excellent wire for a quick deploying, light weight, trail friendly antenna for my portable QRP operating, I've never made jewelry but apparently that's what this wire was designed for. It's extremely thin and flexible, and it even comes on a small spool that looks near perfect to store the antenna on when not in use. The spool comes with a plastic band that wraps around the O.D. to keep the wire from unraveling.

The "antenna" I use for portable work is really nothing more than a chunk of wire because I only use end fed antennas fed directly from the out put of my tuner - well, actually two chunks of wire, one for a radiator and one for a counterpoise - so the wire itself isn't what really caught my eye in the Wal-Mart isle. Truthfully I was more interested in the fact that it easily fits on such a small spool with the plastic band around it. Sometimes it's the little things that please me.  ;D

Any way, my quest continues for the ultimate field deployable HF antenna. Ideally the final product will be smaller than a ballpoint pen when stowed, have a miniature rocket on the end to launch it into the air, be strong enough to rip limbs out of trees when it gets caught, have an electric winch to retrieve the antenna that only draws .00001 mA of current, and some type of anti gravity technology so I don't need an actual tree to hold it in the air. I'll keep everyone posted of my progress.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

That would work great with my SOTA tuner!
I might just have to go to Walmart..
Thanks.

Gil.

cockpitbob

What's the wire made of?  I'm going to guess it's stainless steel which has about 40x more resistance that copper.  An ohm meter check should be revealing.

KK0G

Quote from: cockpitbob on April 09, 2015, 09:17:18 AM
What's the wire made of?  I'm going to guess it's stainless steel which has about 40x more resistance that copper.  An ohm meter check should be revealing.
The package doesn't say but my guess is that it's stainless steel. Experimentation will be in order to figure out the optimum length since the velocity factor will be different than copper.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G