Performance and SWR issues with the EZ Military whip from Alpha Antenna!!

Started by OliverWatt, March 24, 2016, 01:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardSinFWTX

SurvivalTechNord did a very good job with this series.  He could've easily let things degrade to just being snarky and petty; but I think he did a good "compare and contrast" of both products gave us his results.

cockpitbob

Interest.  They are both just transformers with a 2.5:1 turns ratio.  A lot of fancy mechanicals around a very simple transformer. 

STN

Just wanted to check in, say hello, and give sitrep.
The EZM vs MPAS series kicked my butt! Unfortunately the end of the series didn't help. Steve is going all ADHD on me, accusing me of destroying the EZMs good run! I know he's just emotional but, ... It sucks! Honestly, I thought this would be an easy series, since we all suspected they were similarly designed.

Anyway, here are some in the series facts.
1. Throughout the series Alpha has done everything it can, to mislead me. I don't blame them for as it's just good marketing, but it meant I had to be meticulous every step of the way. So I come out of this series with serious trust issues about any promises Alpha makes, and any new system alpha comes out with. At least until I see for myself that the quality and workmanship have improved.

2. The EZM is designed to be cheap and easy to manufacture! It is neither rugged or robust! In fact the EZM is just a cheap copy of the chameleon. Certainly it works but I would not put my life on it.

3. The continuity issues with the mil stick,  were a manufacturing shortcut. It was much less labor-intensive to order the tent poles with the anodised inserts, and simply remove a small part of the Anodizing at the edges. Then use a very tight bungee cord to ensure those bare metal sections make contact. It works when it works but when it doesn't, your radio or tuner will pay the price!

4. The alpha match and hybrid micro are indeed 5:1 unun. I read one of the geniuses mention the "fancy covers" around the 5:1 unun (that's not even wrong!) Although based on the same design, attention to detail was the key difference. The alpha matchs transformer is not insulated in any way. It's possible too short on or fray  the Garden wire inside the Alpha Match, or on the mounting screws.  On the other hand,  the "fancy cover" on the Hybrid micro, is milled in such a way that the Transformer cannot move inside its housing. In fact it's impossible to Short the Hybrid Micro inside its housing. That's the reason for the fancy cover around the Transformer. It's not just for looks!

For all the other Geniuses out there. The reason we use these types of antennas is rapid deployment and convenience, FULL STOP!!! You can't put a hundred Watts through your shirt pocket wire antenna, which needs a tree. The Broadband nature of these type of antennas means full coverage from at least 80 metres to 10 metres, with a free standing, modular system, which can be configured in a variety of different ways. Vertical, horizontal dipole, endfed, inverted vee, NVIS, inverted L, ... plus the deployment and convenience. So we are willing to accept the losses for having those deployment benefits.  I know it's very difficult to understand for many people, why an experienced operator would use such a lossy antenna. It's simply because every antenna has its pros and cons, benefits and weaknesses. Your shirt pocket antenna might only cover three bands. The "no tuner needed" antenna might need to be elevated to some unreasonable height, and on and on. What many ham radio operators don't understand is that we're not talking about working dxcc with these things. In most cases were talking about Regional Communications with a rapid deployment system. So yes guys, you're right about there being more efficient antennas, but now of them have the deployment ootiins of these.

Finally guys. -Alpha Antenna is working on a system called the RECON. I believe that Alpha understands that it can't produce the same type of s*** which it has previously!  I previously promised to do a comparison on the EZM to the RECON, as a way of undoing much of the damage that I've done to the company. But then Steve told me that the Recon is not a replacement for the EZM, it's an entirely new product, and the EZM will still be sold. This was a serious red flag for me. He insists that the quality issues with the EZM have been corrected in production now,  but I have little confidence that that's true in regards to the Alpha Match.

So this is almost everything. I'm actually trying to take distance from alpha because it's hurting my channel. As for chameleon,  the guys a freaking artist!

73 DE OH8STN

RichardSinFWTX

I thought you were more than fair in your comparison of the two antennas, Julian.

It sounds to me like Steve's a poor loser!  The word is out now.  The EZM is crap and now everyone knows it.  Don't feel bad about him being upset.  There's a really easy solution:  MAKE A BETTER FREAKIN' PRODUCT!! 

N1KTJ

This can't be fixed by that company. That would entail admitting the original has problems that must be addressed. Which could invite legal action for those wanting a replacement upgrade. I speculate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk