Saturday night meet up? (3/22/2014)

Started by NWARadio, March 21, 2014, 10:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWARadio

I really enjoyed the exercise last night, too. VWFlyer is right: it's good practice trying to intentionally make contact with a specific station instead of talking to whoever comes in clearly. I enjoyed the practice of relaying information to/from stations who couldn't be heard by everyone and learning what it's like to stand by while information is being taken to be relayed. I also learned not to sit down at the radio without a computer. It was too much of a hassle running back and forth to my laptop to check the forum when I couldn't hear John Galt. And that makes me wonder what I would do in a real world situation where I had no access to the internet or text messages. If it were important, JG and I would have needed a plan in place in case our chosen frequency was in use or the conditions weren't right for that band. We'd also need a plan of some sort in case the conditions across all bands are crappy. I don't think we'll ever need anything like that, but it's interesting and fun to think about. I really appreciate everyone who tried and who made contact, especially ArchAngel, who had some sort of flu bug. I've filled out QSL cards and I'll get them in the mail Monday. John Galt, we got interrupted on 10m, but since we each heard one another, I logged you as a contact.
So long, and thanks for all the fish

KK0G

Quote from: NWARadio on March 23, 2014, 01:07:08 PM
I really enjoyed the exercise last night, too. VWFlyer is right: it's good practice trying to intentionally make contact with a specific station instead of talking to whoever comes in clearly. I enjoyed the practice of relaying information to/from stations who couldn't be heard by everyone and learning what it's like to stand by while information is being taken to be relayed. I also learned not to sit down at the radio without a computer. It was too much of a hassle running back and forth to my laptop to check the forum when I couldn't hear John Galt. And that makes me wonder what I would do in a real world situation where I had no access to the internet or text messages. If it were important, JG and I would have needed a plan in place in case our chosen frequency was in use or the conditions weren't right for that band. We'd also need a plan of some sort in case the conditions across all bands are crappy. I don't think we'll ever need anything like that, but it's interesting and fun to think about. I really appreciate everyone who tried and who made contact, especially ArchAngel, who had some sort of flu bug. I've filled out QSL cards and I'll get them in the mail Monday. John Galt, we got interrupted on 10m, but since we each heard one another, I logged you as a contact.
You've just clearly illustrated why it's so important to establish lines of communication before they're needed. At the moment it's easy to establish lines of communication by using this website via the world wide web, powered by utility lines carrying millions of megawatts of power all while sitting in a comfy shack with a full belly during our relatively comfortable "normal" lives. Remove all those comforts provided by our massive infrastructures, then add in the stress of just trying to survive, and trying to establish a contact that doesn't preexist becomes orders of magnitude more difficult.

As the old saying goes: "If you're not doing it now, you won't be doing it then".

Good job guys, keep at it.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G