-Alpha EZ Military vs Chameleon MPAS

Started by STN, February 16, 2016, 06:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STN

Hello radio operators
I just published the first video in the 'Alpha EZ Military vs Chameleon MPAS' series.
This first video 'Alpha EZ Military Gold First Look'. It will be followed up by 'Close up look at the Chameleon MPAS'.
After that, I'll publish the side by side comparison, then follow up with performance tests.

You can watch the first video here https://youtu.be/houIJTHtDW0

You're all welcome to follow along, comment and of course politely debate. My job in all this is to provide objective information!

73 de STN

cockpitbob

Very nice review with good camera work and text!  I'll be keeping an eye on you and our stuff  ;D

I was supervised to see the vertical radiator is essentially tent poles with a center bungee.  I would have expected threaded fittings to guarantee electrical contact from section to section.

NCGunDude

Very nice video and thank you! Your impressions are consistent with my own, but at the end of the day, and as a relative newbie to amateur radio, it's too much of a compromise for convenience over performance. That may be a misconception on my part, so I'm interested in follow up videos, particularly on the performance comparison, and maybe side by side with a simple dipole, IOW, how does it compare to other antennas you might set up for field operation?

STN

Thanks for commenting, and you're welcome.
They are like tent poles but so far,  there is a good electrical connection. I do worry that these will loosen with time, but as they say time will tell. Compromise for convenience is a good point. I use a magloop for field Comms, or an endfed when its critical to be high-speed low drag. The whip is an excellent option when you have no trees but have the space to deploy it. BTW all whips are not created equally.

I have done comparisons with my home HF Antenna. That's an endfed sloper coming off my tower. However it really isn't a fair test, since these are antennas of convenience and rapid deployment. That said, a ground mounted vertical Whip like this will outperform a larger antenna in some cases. The point is choosing the correct Antenna and configuration for the type of Comms you need in a given scenario.

The followup videos wil paint a clearer picture about each product. This first video was just an introduction minus the propaganda.
Thanks again for commenting.

STN

Quote from: NCGunDude on February 16, 2016, 10:01:03 AM
Very nice video and thank you! Your impressions are consistent with my own, but at the end of the day, and as a relative newbie to amateur radio, it's too much of a compromise for convenience over performance. That may be a misconception on my part, so I'm interested in follow up videos, particularly on the performance comparison, and maybe side by side with a simple dipole, IOW, how does it compare to other antennas you might set up for field operation?

RichardSinFWTX

Not to steal Julian's thunder on this; but I've got one of the EZ-Military whips and found that the 6m-40m end-fed that I bought from KX3Helper.com works a heck of a lot better and is a lot more compact.  It can be coiled up and fits into a zip-top sandwich bag.  I'm not sure what the differences are between the regular EZ-Military and the EZ-Military "Gold"; but I doubt it's worth the added cost.  $400 for the Gold vs $250 for the original?  It looks like the only difference is the addition of a tripod and three lengths of wire (counterpoises and an NVIS element) all of which can be made yourself.

I'm not being bitter mind you.  It's entirely my own fault for not doing a lot more research.  I fell victim to hype.

STN

Excellent post Richard!
Like we talked about, In think it's important for users to give their opinions about the products. Videosbymike is almost the only source for information on the EZ Military. The problem there is comments are disabled and feedback is not allowed.
Although my series will continue, I encourage everyone to do the research, read the documentation (if any). If there isn't any, that in itself should be a red flag!

Quote from: STN on February 16, 2016, 11:22:05 AM
Thanks for commenting, and you're welcome.
They are like tent poles but so far,  there is a good electrical connection. I do worry that these will loosen with time, but as they say time will tell. Compromise for convenience is a good point. I use a magloop for field Comms, or an endfed when its critical to be high-speed low drag. The whip is an excellent option when you have no trees but have the space to deploy it. BTW all whips are not created equally.

I have done comparisons with my home HF Antenna. That's an endfed sloper coming off my tower. However it really isn't a fair test, since these are antennas of convenience and rapid deployment. That said, a ground mounted vertical Whip like this will outperform a larger antenna in some cases. The point is choosing the correct Antenna and configuration for the type of Comms you need in a given scenario.

The followup videos wil paint a clearer picture about each product. This first video was just an introduction minus the propaganda.
Thanks again for commenting.

STN

Quote from: NCGunDude on February 16, 2016, 10:01:03 AM

STN

Thanks, there is much more to come.

Quote from: cockpitbob on February 16, 2016, 09:38:58 AM
Very nice review with good camera work and text!  I'll be keeping an eye on you and our stuff  ;D

I was supervised to see the vertical radiator is essentially tent poles with a center bungee.  I would have expected threaded fittings to guarantee electrical contact from section to section.

K7JLJ

I hope you plan to test the whips in NVIS?

I think you said you didn't get the vehicle whip or didn't want to test it because chameleon doesn't have such a setup?

If you did get it, maybe a showing of a WSPR map competed to the EZ "milwhip" ?  Curious what the loss of performance is for something that would allow moving comms.

- Jim
-Jim

STN

Hello Jim
For some reason they didn't send the mobile whip. Still I've planned a test on NVIS with both configurations (Mil stick and emcomm element) on 160, 80, 40 and 30M.

I'll get the second video out this week, then start the comparisons and tests.

Quote from: K7JLJ on February 17, 2016, 12:25:29 AM

I think you said you didn't get the vehicle whip or didn't want to test it because chameleon doesn't have such a setup?

If you did get it, maybe a showing of a WSPR map competed to the EZ "milwhip" ?  Curious what the loss of performance is for something that would allow moving comms.

- Jim

K7JLJ

-Jim

STN

I did do an initial test with these results. The image doesn't tell the entire story, but we'll come back to this.

Quote from: K7JLJ on February 17, 2016, 12:25:29 AM

- Jim

Clyde

Quote from: STN on February 16, 2016, 06:01:37 AM
Hello radio operators
I just published the first video in the 'Alpha EZ Military vs Chameleon MPAS' series.
This first video 'Alpha EZ Military Gold First Look'. It will be followed up by 'Close up look at the Chameleon MPAS'.
After that, I'll publish the side by side comparison, then follow up with performance tests.

You can watch the first video here https://youtu.be/houIJTHtDW0

You're all welcome to follow along, comment and of course politely debate. My job in all this is to provide objective information!

73 de STN
Saw the new video! great job, especially with regard to the 60' EMCOMM.
I have been a user of Alpha Antennas products (Alpha Loop Sr., Alpha Vertical Sr., Alpha Moto, Alpha EzMilitary). Looking forward to your next video.

I have some videos up of the Alpha Antenna products at Alpha Antenna Playlist

K7JLJ

Clyde, you link doesn't work for me

- Jim
-Jim

gil

Nice video, I subscribed on Youtube :-)

Gil.

STN

Thanks. I'm just working on the second video.