Well, after all, she WAS prepared...

Started by KC9TNH, July 31, 2013, 09:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC9TNH

Thought of Gil and, ya know, some people just choose poorly. So if Wednesday got you down...

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/tha...systema-video/

gil

Ah! Not working, but I think I saw that video of a girl in Russia kicking a phone grabber. It does mention systema, but I did not see any systema there..

Here is what I think is the best systema presentation video I have found:
(It really starts at 1:25 and shows a nice progression and the principles involved)

The main difference between Systema and other martial arts is that only a few basic techniques are taugh at the beginning. Then you train your brain to create moves on the fly based on the present movement being dealt with. This way there is never really any "oh shit" moments, as you create (hopefully) the correct response to an attack or accident as it happens. Yes, our brains are fast enough to do that..

Anyway, since martial arts are part of any good preparations, here are what I think is important to consider in choosing a martial art:

• Make sure they teach you how to roll: Rolling, forward and backward is a very basic combat skill that any martial art should teach. It can save your bacon when the only other alternative is a face-plant. Don't roll on your spine but slightly diagonally to minimize spine/ground contact. Relax and exhale while going down.
  • Multiple attackers: A good martial art has to consider multiple attackers and practice for it regularly. It's fine to put a guy in a head-lock on the ground, but if his buddy kicks you in the head from behind, you're toast..
  • Weapons: The system you learn should allow you to add weapons to the mix without requiring changes in the principles involved. Practice should include using and defending against weapons, including knives, sticks, baseball bats, guns and rifles, etc. It should also consider improvised weapons.
  • Standing up and ground: Both should be practiced, including transition from either. Falling and getting up can be used to counter attack.
  • Get out of the dojo! There should be some training outside of the regular controlled class environment, like practicing inside cars, in stairwells, cramped quarters, woods, low light, etc.
  • Relaxation and breathing: If a martial art teaches you to be tense all the time, they got it wrong. Why do you think drunk drivers walk away from horrendous wrecks? Breathing should be a big part of the art, to control fear, adrenalin and allow some relaxation.
  • Strikes Make sure the martial art you choose does allow strikes to the face and body, preferably without gloves. You can't learn to strike efficiently without getting struck yourself and getting feedback from your training partner. You also need to learn taking heavy strikes without giving up the fight.

I am probably forgetting some... My main point is that most martial arts are pretty old, and most have lost their martial components to become sports. I know a few people who would kill a mixed martial artist in seconds, but would lose if they had to follow the rules of the sport. There is a difference between combat and sports or ego based fighting. Nothing against sports or most traditional martial arts, but they do not address the realities of combat. Even systems taught to your basic enlisted soldiers are not appropriate. Their goal is to teach an attitude and a few moves that work against an unskilled opponent.

Systema does address all those points. Some instructors are softer than others, but the good ones do bring their students just beyond their comfort, and sometimes pain tolerance levels. If a martial art becomes comfortable, you are fooling yourself... The classes aren't that hard, mind you, but still many students do not come back. I saw some leave just because the floor was concrete and they wanted mats... There are no mats in dark alleys, and the guy mugging you does not wear padded gloves...
I have heard much controversy about systema online; mostly because good videos are rare and easy to misinterpret. I can tell you it works. To anyone interested, you can go to http://russianmartialart.com and check out classes in your state. It is the best system for older guys in not-so-great-shape also, because strenght is secondary to body mechanics and momentum.. Give it a try!

And more videos from my favorites list:

My instructor:

Vladimir Vasiliev:

Faster:

Gil.

KC9TNH

Thanks for sharing the videos. Some approaches I'd seen from Sonny P were of good use in understanding how to surrender (briefly) to gravity in an approach to fluidly assuming a couple of firing positions. Been working on regaining some of the flexibility lost in the last couple of years of a sedentary job and a couple of strains.

Thanks again - posting the link shook the systema basket and yielded some good stuff.

gil

You're welcome Wes! I went back to class last week after a long absense... Boy do I hurt! It's all still there, but my strength and stamina are way down. Quite sobering. Goes to show that it is absolutely necessary to have an ongoing exercise regimen and never take long breaks.

Gil.