Chinese to English Translation - And Why It's Tough To Buy This QRP Rig

Started by RadioRay, September 08, 2014, 10:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

I am certain that we've all seen the $14 QRP "FROG" transceivers on E-Bay.  The detailed description, evidently translated directly from Chinese to English, by someone who spoke neither language - probably a computer does not inspire confidence.

"3, the changing structure of isolating switch, eliminate launch receiving "kaka... "

Look, I've made it a lifetime practice to never put 'kaka' in my ears, but do we REALLY feel good about transceiver descriptions like this?    I'm still tempted to buy one, just to play with it, but I'll be certain to wear some sort of protection the first few times.

73 de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

cockpitbob

I bought their "Manual Days Tuner" kit.  The instructions were hilarious.  Apparently I should have used my oxy-acetelyene torch since the instructions clearly specified welding. ???   The design was fundamentally sound and the parts alone were worth what I paid.  However they had an error in the layout and errors in the instructions, so you really had to know what you were doing to have a working tuner when done.
No kaka in the tuner kit fortunately :o

RadioRay

Hi Bob -

Good about the 'no kaka'.  That's usually the first consideration.  Like you, I often look at these things as being less expensive than I could kit a project. As long as they are copied from a good design and the schematic , I can usually build it.

>>> I AM surprised that the Chinese market has not done a re-make of the 'Warbler' single-band, crystal controlled, PSK-31 transceiver. I've seen ten year old , used Warblers fetch $200 on Ebay, when available.

>de RadioRay ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Joe

I thought worrying about letting the magic smoke out was bad enough. Now I also have to worry about letting the magic kaka out to!!  :o

RadioRay

cockpitbob

Quote from: RadioRay on September 09, 2014, 04:06:01 PM
New Q-signal?

QKK:  Your signal sounds like KaKa.
I thought that's what the ARRL's QST stood for.  Your signal sounds like S_T