Interesting video.

Started by gil, September 15, 2013, 12:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Geek

Sounds like a compelling case for MESH.

Archangel320420

I could not open the video for some reason.

gil

The same video is on Youtube.. Do a search on the title..

As to Mesh, it is a good system for organizations.. For the prepper, not so much. If I come across a router for a song, I might try it, just as a public service, but running a server and services on it isn't a small job. Maybe because it's my job and I get paid for it, doing it for free doesn't sound so great.

Even for a group of preppers, I don't think it's that great. Too complicated. Nobody is going to have time to play with computers when it's more important to go find food and dodge bullets. You also need to know what services are running on the net in advance to be able to use them. Unless a default web page with links and instructions pops up when you open your browser, which I imagine they are doing.

There was nothing on the MESH site about antennas, nada, zilch; only instructions on how to upload the firmware. Like almost all Ham web sites, it's quite aweful and not intuitive at all. I've got to write a post on Ham websites! So, do you put the router in a plastic box with it's two antennas and hoist the whole thing up a mast? What frequency does it use? I haven't dug very deep, but there should be better explanations on that site.

The speaker had a good point about solar storms. 12% chance of a big one in the next ten years, that's quite a high number. I wonder what that number is for 30 years? After that, I won't care or even be here..

Gil.

Archangel320420

Interesting thing that I took away is to equip teams with those small talkies and talk back to a ham equiped base who then relays the info to the EOC in the county.

Once we had an ice storm take down telephone and power in many areas for two weeks out of telephones. I was unfortunately the County EMA director at the time, but I had the idea of stationing hams at key interesections around those areas, notified all residents by newspaper and local radio stations that when you see a flashing blue light it is a place you can report your emergency to police fire and EMS. The citizens complaints or messages would then be relayed to hams at the EOC. It worked out pretty well, but into the last few days of the phone outage, the hams started to go home, had to go back to work and family etc. It was difficult to man the blue flashing light stations 24/7 for days. It is something to keep in mind though. If someone saw a blue light flashing and it was not one of these communication stations, no matter, because that unit was a radio equipment fire or ambulance or police and they could relay the messages also to the EOC. Keep this one in mind if your area suffers a communications outage.

I would guess this could be done with police or other emergency departments as long as the amateur repeaters were keep operational on battery or generators. Stick a ham in each fire station to receive the incoming alerts. They will respond on their own and have their own comms on the scene and back to there own base stations. The biggest problem is keeping the hams at it 24/7. Manpower, in other words.

Trunking? I don't know. Everyone went to it out here in Minnesota. I personally do not like all my radio eggs in one basket. it is a big mistake. So far, the trunking is working out.

gil

I wish all my friends had handhelds... I am going to try to sell some of them on Ham radio, getting licensed and buying an HT. You're talking $55 for both here, so not a big investment.. With a ladder line J-Pole or Slim Jim up a tree an HT can go pretty far, without a repeater. I actually believe some Hams don't know their handhelds can work without repeaters  ::) Just a replacement 17" antenna and a rat tail makes a HUGE difference. I wish MURS radios were cheaper, the cheapest I have seen being about $80. When you can get a UV-5R for $32, that's a bit much. Unfortunately the Baofeng can only be used legally on Ham bands. So, a group of friends, neighbors or family could have one main Ham radio guy with SSB and CW, and the others would use HTs to stay in touch locally.

Another idea I had was to have an FM transmitter, since almost everyone has an FM radio somewhere.. Or even an AM transmitter, but FM requires a much smaller antenna! The legalities would have to be figured out, but in a large scale and long lasting disaster, a radio station could help a small community, assuming power is kept low to avoid attracting unwanted attention.

The best of course is to get family and friends to get a Technician license. FRS is limited to 500mW or 1W I think, and GMRS is expensive. MURS probably the best of the non-licensed bands and somewhat private since few people know about them. You can still find CB handhelds, but everybody and their cousins would be listening to that.. I would have a CB, sure, but at a base.

The main problem with all these radios is battery charging, and a sufficient solar panel area would be necessary.

Gil.

Archangel320420

Well... I was not talking of a TEOTWAWKI. Just a plain ordinary disaster situation.  :)

Geek

Quote from: gil on September 15, 2013, 03:47:13 PM
The same video is on Youtube.. Do a search on the title..

As to Mesh, it is a good system for organizations.. For the prepper, not so much. If I come across a router for a song, I might try it, just as a public service, but running a server and services on it isn't a small job. Maybe because it's my job and I get paid for it, doing it for free doesn't sound so great.

Even for a group of preppers, I don't think it's that great. Too complicated. Nobody is going to have time to play with computers when it's more important to go find food and dodge bullets. You also need to know what services are running on the net in advance to be able to use them. Unless a default web page with links and instructions pops up when you open your browser, which I imagine they are doing.

There was nothing on the MESH site about antennas, nada, zilch; only instructions on how to upload the firmware. Like almost all Ham web sites, it's quite aweful and not intuitive at all. I've got to write a post on Ham websites! So, do you put the router in a plastic box with it's two antennas and hoist the whole thing up a mast? What frequency does it use? I haven't dug very deep, but there should be better explanations on that site.

The speaker had a good point about solar storms. 12% chance of a big one in the next ten years, that's quite a high number. I wonder what that number is for 30 years? After that, I won't care or even be here..

Gil.

Whether it is good for preppers gets back to the whole what are you prepping for question.  If you're prepping for a natural disaster, e.g. Hurricane, I think it can be useful.  For a SHTF scenario then you have a very valid point.  I'm pretty sure the speaker in the video is coming from the former perspective, with Fukashima as a case she mentions specifically.

The routers are no more than $50 new and can be found on eBay for much less used.  The antennas are simply the 2.4ghz variety if you want to run one up a pole.  You'll want one if you are trying for range, but if you're just putting up a router to fill in the node density then you can just pass on that.

As far as running a server, the folks I have heard discuss that sort of thing seem to be thinking of putting it up for the duration of an event, not as a permanent piece of infrastructure.  I think it will take a few events where this technology gets used before it becomes apparent what servers (chat, mail, etc.) are of value and how users would go about discovering those services if available.  I suspect what may actually happen is the network would provide a gateway to the Internet outside the disaster area for both sender and receiver of communications.

gil

QuoteWell... I was not talking of a TEOTWAWKI. Just a plain ordinary disaster situation.

Yes, I'm just rambling again  ::)

QuoteI suspect what may actually happen is the network would provide a gateway to the Internet outside the disaster area for both sender and receiver of communications.

Yes, in that regard I can see how it would certainly help. Better limit access to some web sites though, LOL.

I always think of the worst situation for prepping... For being isolated for a week or two without power, I'm all set... I could even afford to play Ham helper with an HT. I would be glad to send emails for friends via Winlink as well. There is a threshold after which helping others comes at the detriment of one's own survival. Mostly in where to spend money. Certainly a router is cheap, and I might try it, just to see if I can pick any other station.

Gil.

Geek

If you don't find another station, just leave the thing plugged in.  The technology seems to have caught on in just a few areas so there is high probability you will be the "first on your block" to put one up.  Set it up and then let the next guy find you.

RichardSinFWTX

I was digging through my junk drawer this weekend and found an old 54G wireless router.  One of these days I'm going to look at setting it up for use on MESH.  Looks kinda interesting.  Still got to do some more reading on it though.

gil

I kind of vaguely recall seeing one in the house, but sure can't find it... Oh well, Ebay to the rescue... Maybe I could post an ad at the coffee shop...

Gil.

KC9TNH

Quote from: Archangel320420 on September 15, 2013, 08:22:30 PM
Interesting thing that I took away is to equip teams with those small talkies and talk back to a ham equiped base who then relays the info to the EOC in the county....
... and the rest of the outstanding post.

A heirarchical setup can work phenomenally well; we do that here for SKYWARN. An operator who can't deploy (for whatever reason) can often monitor and relay to the individual watchers better than the local NOAA, who have their own task set and are largely monitoring, as are the county EM folks (from whom we do not get a dime) who are free to do other stuff - like asking us to phyically verify that the frenetic 911 call for a tornado was actually a piece of low scud scooting through.

You are in the x-ring regarding the need for humans. We continue to try to interest all our members in at least getting a Tech license.  I have mentioned many times at meetings that I would be happy to work with someone so inclined; and would even flip the $15 for the exam if they would promise:
a) to study for both Tech & General
b) to honestly do the best they could
c) at least attempt the General when they pass the Tech.

Sadly, I've yet to need to open my wallet.
Even with the likelihood that other members probably could manage to put a radio in their hands when they got licensed.

But that vertically-integrated informational model works bigtime & for more than the typically thought of disasters.

People, human networks, whatever you call it; there's the delta.

Quietus

[/quote]

Sadly, I've yet to need to open my wallet.

[/quote

A wise old Squid corpsman once told me regarding people:  "Keep your expectations low enough, and you'll seldom be disappointed."  True dat.