Chameleon SPIKE mount.

Started by gil, June 22, 2017, 02:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CroPrepper

Do you got the isbn # of the moxon book?

Via TapaTalk

gil

Quote from: CroPrepper on March 20, 2018, 05:08:19 PMDo you got the isbn # of the moxon book?
187230915-1

CroPrepper

CroPrepper

Quote from: scarr on March 20, 2018, 04:30:30 PM
Quote from: gil on March 19, 2018, 09:05:03 PM
Here is my take on this... Indeed a longer fishing pole type mast with a wire will be more efficient, because of its length; the best, of course, being a half wave. The shorter antennas, telescopic or otherwise are only less efficient because they are shorter. We are talking HF here of course and compromise antennas shorter than a quarter wave.

I just want to clarify - I was comparing like with like: a 5m telescoping antenna or click together antenna, to 5m of copper wire.

The connections between the pieces are imperfect, copper is a better conductor than aluminium or steel.. etc.

As I said, I don't have figures for the real world losses and how significant or otherwise they are and am open to correction on this.

The below page reflects losses on continuous lengths, e.g. 5m of solid steel, not factoring in losses through connections.
http://owenduffy.net/antenna/conductors/loss.htm

On one of Julians videos he compared the Alpha EZ and the Chameleon. The Alpha EZ (AFAICR) had pretty bad connections between the segments. They had to be sandpapered. And.. the moxxon book ordered, seems like a good and educational read.

gil

I remember that video. There is another one of someone opening up the Alpha... Not pretty... Their latest model might be better, but considering the lack of craftsmanship on the first one, I'd be worried. The Moxon book is awesome, and even though most of the math is above my head I did learn a lot from it...

Gil.

Lamewolf

After reading through this thread, I must say:

1. Wire is much much cheaper and more efficient.
2. Pouring liquid around a ground rod that short I doubt will make much difference and a few "wire" radials would work better.
3. Speed of deployment in my book can take a back seat to performance anytime, but I can deploy my wire very quickly - about 5 minutes in most cases !
4. Wire is lighter than stainless steel parts and rolls up nice and neat to fit in the pack.
5. I can buy a lot of wire for the price of these antennas.

gil

Correct on all counts.

There are cases, however, when you don't have a support like a tree. A telescopic mast can do the trick, and I use them. Sometimes though I do prefer to just whip out the Chameleon and be done with it.

Gil.

Lamewolf

I always have my 31' Jackite telescopic pole with me, makes things quick and easy.  Actually, I can use it as a multiband vertical by feeding a 31' wire with radials with my SGC 237 tuner - it will do 10 through 160 meters that way if needed but  I  usually use an 88' wire as an inverted V or inverted L.