Polyphaser

Started by mdmc, December 19, 2013, 10:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdmc

Does anyone know why the PolyPhaser IS-NEMP series surge protection devices are so difficult to buy on the retail market? HRO lists them as "pending". I called them and asked what pending meant.The guy I spoke with said they could order them but it just depends on if 'they' will send to them. I don't know who they is. HRO listed them after I had given up and bought the regular lightening suppressors.

I am not in the position to spend several hundred dollars right now for them, but hope to sometime this spring and they could easily be swapped out inside the entrance panel.

I don't plan on leaving the antennas hooked up 24/7 but I would like to have the protection. That is assuming they actually work.  The information written by Jerry Emanuelson is what I used for this project. I hope it is worth the trouble if it is ever needed. But I really hope it is never needed.

My new shack is nearly finished and I hope to be back on the air soon. The hardening process is really a pain and slow going.

cockpitbob

I don't know much about PolyPhaser devices except that they are expensive.  Does anyone know what makes them worth the extra money?  As far as I know ALL lightning arrestors use the same technology gas discharge tubes.  DigiKey sells 25KAmp tubes for $1.40.  The only thing I can imagine PolyPhaser brings to the party is a pretty enclosure and better marketing.

I have arrestors on my antennas but I always unplug them when there's any chance of lightning.  Arrestors are good for the EMP of a close lightning strike but nothing will save my rigs from a direct hit.