Ultralight Off Center Fed Dipole - 200 watts, Can you spell GO BAG ANTENNA ?

Started by Lamewolf, March 16, 2016, 04:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamewolf

cockpitbob

Probably still needs a tuner since most of the SWRs are above 2.0, but most aren't much above 2 so a rig's internal tuner should easily handle it. It is very light considering the weight includes 40ft of feed line.  Should be easy to deploy in temporary setups. 

Lamewolf

Quote from: cockpitbob on March 16, 2016, 05:03:56 PM
Probably still needs a tuner since most of the SWRs are above 2.0, but most aren't much above 2 so a rig's internal tuner should easily handle it. It is very light considering the weight includes 40ft of feed line.  Should be easy to deploy in temporary setups.

Yeah, I have an Icom 703 and I know its built in tuner would handle all those bands just fine !  And I'm thinking since it uses a 4:1 balun, you could even make extender wires to make it work on 80 too and just connect them when you need 80 meters.  It also wouldn't take up much room in the go bag !  Actually, I see a homebrew project there !

cockpitbob

You have an Icom 703?  Nice!  I could never figure why they stopped making that rig.  They go for big money on eBay.

Lamewolf

Quote from: cockpitbob on March 16, 2016, 07:30:09 PM
You have an Icom 703?  Nice!  I could never figure why they stopped making that rig.  They go for big money on eBay.

Yeah, I have the early version - HF only, no 6 meters.  Its a great portable rig, and I also have an early version FT-817 and an old boat anchor Yaesu FT-7 that does about 12 watts on 80, 40, 20, 15, & 10 meters.