$21 Full Function QRP tuner - Don't Buy

Started by cockpitbob, September 16, 2013, 12:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cockpitbob

See update in Reply #49.

Anyone else seen these on eBay?

It looks like a standard T-network tuner and has the usual QRPers bridge with LED SWR indicator.  It claims 15W and looks small and light.  You can't beat the price of $21 shipped.

So, anyone know about these, or do I have to be the guinea pig and get one?  I love end-feds but with a baby balun this could probably tune a twin-lead fed dipole on a bunch of bands.

gil

I sure had a good laugh reading the description  ;D

"shoes, frogs, octopus, etc."  :o

QuoteJust Kit For Diy !!!
This kit requires some soldering electronic technology, will recognize the device, it will weld, the basic need debugging, as long as careful assembly according to package instructions can succeed. If the novice find weld on the error, intended to build the first not handle, please contact customer service personnel will get the appropriate technical guidance.
This kit welding, making easy to understand, easier to learn, easy to use. Comes with standing instructions, Q9 type interface (such as the need to be self to M-type interface), using T-topology networks, QRP facilitate communication with the low-power transceiver (shoes, frogs, octopus, etc.) used to make transceiver and antenna valid match, meet your emission requirements, ensure a highly efficient radio communications.

Gil.

cockpitbob

I actually never read the description.  That's friggn' hysterical         

Makes me want to buy it even more.

KK0G

$21 to my door sure seems cheap enough! That is until I have to pay someone $30 to translate the instructions. I think you should take one for the team Bob and then provide us all with the non-chingrish instructions. ;D
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KC3AOL

It might be worth it for the parts alone, but the entertainment value of reading the instructions could also be fun.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Archangel320420

" ...facilitate communication with the low-power transceiver (shoes, frogs, octopus, etc.) "

I never though of using my shoes as a xcvr. Good idea. Frogs and octopus are food.

gil

Quoteplease contact customer service personnel will get the appropriate technical guidance.

Yeah, I can imagine that conversation  :o

"How do I fix that problem?"
"You solder octopus on shoe interface."
:o

LOL,

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: gil on September 16, 2013, 12:13:40 PM
Quoteplease contact customer service personnel will get the appropriate technical guidance.

Yeah, I can imagine that conversation  :o

"How do I fix that problem?"
"You solder octopus on shoe interface."
:o

LOL,

Gil.

No, you have to weld octopus to frog interface............... sheesh! 8)

I've done a fair amount of welding in my career but welding a tiny QRP tuner would probably exceed my skill level LOL
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

cockpitbob

Quote from: Archangel320420 on September 16, 2013, 11:19:06 AM
" ...facilitate communication with the low-power transceiver (shoes, frogs, octopus, etc.) "

I never though of using my shoes as a xcvr. Good idea. Frogs and octopus are food.
That does it.  I'm ordering one.

I think they mean you can tune-up those things as antennas.   Shoes would be for ground wave propatation.  The octopus is clearly for multi-band operation.  I'm not sure about the frog, but maybe I can leave my antenna launcher at home.  One hit with RF might put the frog high in a tree.

KC3AOL

I think you guys are misunderstanding. It says that shoes, frogs, octopus, etc are low-power transceivers and this device facilitates communications with them. So, with this device, you will be able to talk to shoes, frogs, octopus, etc. LMAO!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4

KC9TNH

Quote from: Archangel320420 on September 16, 2013, 11:19:06 AM

I never though of using my shoes as a xcvr.
You mean you're not Maxwell Smart?

The black PETA helos are setting up a racetrack on cockpitbob.  ;D

cockpitbob

Quote from: KC9TNH on September 16, 2013, 07:19:07 PM
The black PETA helos are setting up a racetrack on cockpitbob.  ;D
I ordered one today.  It should be here from china at the end of the month.  I promise a full report, but I'm sure assembly will be easy because "the kit comes with standing wave instructions".

This might get me to see if it will tune a twin-lead fed dipole like Davide uses up above the tree line. :)

gil

Good luck Bob, hopefully the octopus and the frog are included... We want photos!  :o

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: cockpitbob on September 16, 2013, 11:38:11 PM
I ordered one today.  It should be here from china at the end of the month.  I promise a full report, but I'm sure assembly will be easy because "the kit comes with standing wave instructions".

Keep us in the loop. I'm especially interested in the process of SWR welding :D

KK0G

KC9TNH

Quote from: KK0G on September 17, 2013, 09:03:14 AMKeep us in the loop. I'm especially interested in the process of SWR welding :D
No question, now that I'm retired that's definitely on my bucket list; the local tech will have a class I bet.