FNG checking in

Started by hank scorpio, August 02, 2015, 10:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hank scorpio

New guy to the board here. I've seen many references to this board in other places. I'm also very active on the Survivalist Board, mainly in the Communications, Wilderness Survival, and Military Weapons areas. I'm a two tour Veteran of Iraq, and one tour in Afghanistan. I was an 11B with a couple other additional qualifiers, and had a great time doing it all. I hold a General Class Amateur license and am studying for Extra, which hopefully I will attain by the end of the month. I enjoy rustic living, kayaking, QRP radio and primitive living. I'm glad to be here, thanks for all the neat info contained here so far.

cockpitbob

Welcome Hank!  As you'll see, this isn't a 100 post/day board, but what it lacks in activity it makes up for with really high quality members. 8)

Good luck on the Extra.

What kinda gear do you have these days?  Here you'll see a lot of emphasis on QRP and Morse, mainly because rigs are super light, require small batteries and Morse will go thousands of miles with 5watts (assuming the ionosphere gods are in a good mood).  I'm surprised more of us aren't doing SOTA activations (something I plan on starting as soon as family life gives me some free weekends).

Right now I'm packing for a 3 day business trip and I'm bringing my 1 pound rig:  Weber MTR with built-in touch-keyer, 33' end fed wire antenna, ear buds.  I snake the wire out the hotel window and can usually make contacts, even with that awful antenna set-up.

gil

Welcome aboard Hank, you are going to fit right in :)

Our forum has naturally drifted towards QRP and also Morse code, simply because of efficiency and portability. We discuss all kinds of radios of course, related to preparedness, things like CB, VHF, etc. A few of us like to build kits and antennas. Like Bob says, we are a small group, but with a large knowledge base. We communicate off the board sometimes as well, and on the air when possible. We make friends :)

QuoteI'm surprised more of us aren't doing SOTA activations

SOTA in Florida :o
I might do IOTA soon though 8)

Gil.

hank scorpio

Quote from: cockpitbob on August 02, 2015, 12:37:27 PM
Welcome Hank!  As you'll see, this isn't a 100 post/day board, but what it lacks in activity it makes up for with really high quality members. 8)

Good luck on the Extra.

What kinda gear do you have these days?  Here you'll see a lot of emphasis on QRP and Morse, mainly because rigs are super light, require small batteries and Morse will go thousands of miles with 5watts (assuming the ionosphere gods are in a good mood).  I'm surprised more of us aren't doing SOTA activations (something I plan on starting as soon as family life gives me some free weekends).

Right now I'm packing for a 3 day business trip and I'm bringing my 1 pound rig:  Weber MTR with built-in touch-keyer, 33' end fed wire antenna, ear buds.  I snake the wire out the hotel window and can usually make contacts, even with that awful antenna set-up.

Thanks man! I run an 817ND as my sole HF rig, but I've on the hunt for a decent 897/857, or Icom 706 simply to use as a base rig. I've also been looking hard at LND's FX4, and I'm likely to add it to my equipment inventory soon. I enjoy building simple wire antennas as well, and currently like playing around with QRP NVIS. For VHF/UHF use I mostly use HTs, but I've also got a TYT 9000 for base station VHF running off of an aluminum Jpole 30ft in the air. All of my equipment is off-grid capable.

As for SOTA, I don't do it in the formal sense, but I'm always outdoors and a radio goes with me everywhere.

NavySEAL

Hello Hank
   I am still a pretty new guy too.......my radio is an 857 and I have an antenna farm.:)
NS

KK0G

Welcome aboard Hank, glad to have you.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RichardSinFWTX

Welcome to the group, Hank!

Joe