Shortwave CountyComm GP-4L

Started by Joe, August 02, 2013, 11:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Hello All

Looking at buying this little short wave radio to keep in the BOB and use at my location to expand information gathering during a event. But not to sure if its good or not? So I am coming to the guys that know! The radio is sold by County Comm for $44.00 plus shipping.

Specifications:

Run Time:
? Radio: 150 hrs at 40% Volume

?Light: 70 Hrs

Frequency Range:
? FM 76-109 MHz

?MW 520-1740Khz

?SW 5.20-18.30 MHz
?SW1= 49 Meter Bands 5.20 - 6.20 Mhz

?41 Meter Bands 7.10 - 7.30 Mhz

?31 Meter Bands 9.45 - 10.45 Mhz
?SW2= 25 Meter Bands 11.01 - 12.05 Mhz

?21 Meter Bands 13.60 - 13.80 Mhz

?19 Meter Bands 15.10 - 15.60 Mhz

?16 Meter Bands 17.55 - 18.30 Mhz

Sensitivity:
? FM < 10 microV

?MW-AM < 1 microV/Meter

?SW-AM < 30 micro V

Power Requirements:
? 3-4.5 Volts DC via side jack (no adapter included)

?2 each "AA" batteries
?Dimensions: 3.4" X 2.55" X .83"
?Weight: 85 Grams not including batteries
?Speaker: 40 mm in diameter, 4 Ohms, .25 watt
?Earphone Jack: 3.5 MM, Earphones Included
?(Instructions come in both French and English)
?(Blister Packed)
?Clock: 12 Hour Format with Wake Up to Radio Alarm Feature

http://countycomm.com/gp4light.html

Thank You

Joe

gil

Well, it doesn't seem to cover the lower part of 40m and 20m, though that might be included in their SW band... Just make sure you can plug in an external antenna.

Gil.

cockpitbob

I agree.  The frequency coverage seems...weird.  Maybe Canada has restrictions on what you can receive.  I would have thought it would have continuous coverage through the HF bands.

RadioRay

When I bought mine many years ago, it was just over $20 and worth it. At this price it is not. The Degenerate 1103 and other radios cost a bit more bit do so MUCH MORE that it would be throwing away money to but this one.

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

cockpitbob

Quote from: RadioRay on August 02, 2013, 02:20:34 PM
When I bought mine many years ago, it was just over $20 and worth it. At this price it is not. The Degenerate 1103 and other radios cost a bit more bit do so MUCH MORE that it would be throwing away money to but this one.
About $75 on Amazon but it gets very good reviews on eHam

Joe

Thanks for the replies. I thought the freq's where a little off and missing coverage, but I wasn't sure since my med's had kicked in. I will take a look at the Degenerate 1103.

RadioRay

>>>====>  If you really must remain in that price range and if listening/monitoring ham radio transmission is not a requirement, I would suggest going to Amazon.com and doing a search for "DSP shortwave" and there will be a ton of small, more advanced radios for about the same price, with Amazon customer reviews to help you to decide. I see some I'd love, but I NEED another shortwave receiver like I need a third term with Obama.   :o

If the write-ups were correct, this was a shirt pocket radio designed for personnel overseas.  Low bid, and JUST enough to listen to broadcasts if/when the lights go out.  The frequency coverage is fine for what it was made for.  Performance is 'acceptable' for something which may be jammed into the bottom of a kit (as mine is). The assumption is that anything better is unavailable.

The frequency coverage is fine for short wave listening in much of the world, thous I do wish that it went a little lower for US domestic.

? FM 76-109 MHz

?MW 520-1740Khz

?SW 5.20-18.30 MHz

The down sides:

Poor power/mode switch design causes the radio to easily turn ON when packed, leaving you with dead batteries.  I put in batteries and use a piece of folded paper (double thick) between the cells and the battery cover so that it CANNOT turn ON accidentally.  I must remove the paper (or stiff, thin plastic) first.

Poor selectivity (but good enough for news from strong/medium) broadcast stations AM/FM/Short Wave.

No capability for SSB/CW reception.

IT drifts in frequency, but not horribly for listening to broadcasts.

Easily broken/inexpensively constructed of thin plastic.

Up Sides:

It has a digital read out.

Runs seemingly for EVER on 2 AA cells.

Very small.

Used to be just over $20.

Hints - works MUCH better with a couple of meters of wire attached to the whip antenna.

In short - you'd be better getting almost any other small, inexpensive AM/FM/Shortwave radio, unless you absolutely cannot afford an additional $30 or so. 

de RadioRay ..._ ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Joe

Thanks Ray

I am looking into some other options including some used units. Buy once, cry once but like everything else still have to stay on budget. I am currently going threw and reading reviews on Radio Shack DX-398, Sony ICF-7601, Grundig G8 and others.

Basic requirements I am looking for

Battery : AA
Can accept wire antenna extension
Pick up world news station

Everything after that is icing on the cake.

KC9TNH

It's never easy balancing a thin budget for a specific item against the IMPORTANCE of the possible intended purpose. Occasional use & sitting in a BOB tends to get us in the shortening up of the expenditure, till we really wish we had a decent piece of gear in our hands at the moment.
Not harping; it's just always a tough decision.

This is a good thread to discuss the bang-for-buck ratio out there and what would be important to have in such a radio. (Example: for me, ability to connect an external antenna to pickup signals from outside an affected area)

Too bad Grundig's performance seems to be a hit/miss thing last few years (now CHICOM assembled) as the G3 was (has been?) a great radio.

I'd like to get in Mr. Peabody's Wayback machine and hit the old Telefunken store down the street for a few minutes with a big shopping bag & a bunch of 4:1 Deutschmarks.
8)