Do YOU Have A Plan?

Started by RadioRay, October 11, 2012, 11:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

... and is it better than THIS one?

Just askin'

:)  ;)  :D  ;D  :o  ::)
de RadioRay ..._ ._

Ps.  I saw his "plan" and just HAD to share it.  Dilbert lives in the real world...
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Jim Boswell

Yes, we have a plan. My Wife and I live out in the country, about 100miles from a major city. Our plan is to honker down and stay put. I will use my radio gear to find out what is happening. I have HF, VHF, UHF transceivers, add to that several monitors and CB gear. We are ready, my station is set-up on battery back-up and solar power is available.
No, I don't have dozens of guns and cases of food. Our main worry is weather problems.
I have been through hurricanes, tornadoes and ice storms. We can rough-it for a few weeks if needed.

Take Care,   73'S   KA5SIW

White Tiger

I have a plan - and I guess you could say it's to hunker down (you big Harry dog)...I was calling it "bugging IN". Unfortunately I am currently NOT 100 miles away from the "zombies"...I am about 5 to 10 miles away from some housing projects and one of the largest cities in Florida.

Two and a half years ago I sat down with our extended family - and we developed the ragged edges of a very loosely organized plan to identify where we were, drew some conclusions, and discussed what we needed to do - first individually - then as a larger group. One of the family members was WAY ahead of everyone else and put the information together in a packet for the other 4 families. Some of us took that to heart, some of us played around the edges, none of us ignored it.

Our most recent addition was to add communication - I volunteered to be the communications person for the group. Each family agreed to get their Tech license if I got at least my General. I hope to achieve that goal tomorrow - I'm going to take the exam for Technician, General & Extra.

Because I have lived in a state that has seen "disruptions to service" (at various times I've either lost power or water, or both), we already had some emergency food and water for a 3 people for 2 weeks...but with the path our country has taken we decided to expand our stores a bit...enough food to take us a year, but only enough water to take us 2 months. Don't get me wrong, I think water will be THE most critical item, I just know how often it falls here in the swamp...so we have some collection devices and a means to treat water.

When you expand your plan, it means you inventory larger amounts of what could become very valuable. So, I studied the various types of protective devices, reviewed how much money my budget could afford (in view of the fact that we had recently spent money on acquiring storage food), acquired several devices, learned how to care for them, and learned how to use them. I also acquired what I believe to be adequate levels of ammunition for each "protection" device.

Then I turned to communications - thanks to WA4STO's help - I've been able to acquire my radio, power supply, antenna, mast and accessories to enhance contact. I have also recently downloaded the FEMA app for emergency preparedness and I am contemplating then Title 44 CFR app that some one on this board directed me to.

We have a plan, everyone on THIS board needs to have one! No matter who wins the election, financial and civil trials are coming.
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

RadioRay

I'm in rural, coastal Viginia, right off of the Chesapeake Bay - near the end of a peninsula. We have some down side but not much , compared to the many benefits to living here. A generally mild climate, long growing seasons, peace & quiet most of the time and people who - even one generation before, remember at least SOME of their meals on their dinner tables coming from The Bay and the family garden/farm. Where I sit, the farmer across the field just harvested his field corn, soy beans down the street, goats milk around the corner, my chickens gave me two eggs today and three for each previous day - and I only have a few. My hot season garden is winding down and I'm planning the fall season plant placement right now and yes - my compost pile is doing just fine on anything that I cannot feed to the chickens in good conscience. 

The Chesapeake Bay is full of food and is a natural transportation route for those who know and a natural barrier for those who don't know how to live on the water. We have some lite ranching in this area to suppliment the farming & watermen. A person would have to PLAN to drive here to find us, because nobody is going to find us by accident, because the few roads in here, are not a through-way of any kind - it's a dead end. Tactically, we're surrounded on three sides by water for over fifty linear miles, with one land route in from the cities, but it's easily blockable, because of the many water crossings which a car cannot get across, but few bridges to our landward side. Water barriers can be good or bad - depending upon your relationship with the water.  The biggest dimwits in the world can setup an effective check point at a low bridge surrounded by high ground.  So, if left alone, common people , many of us with hands-on military experience in third-world-hell-holes, who CARE about defending our homes would do even better against that pesky 'Looting Tourist' problem.   

>:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

"Ya'll need to take it on up the road a piece and DON'T come back now - y'hear?"
                                                  :o

It's a fine place and it's home, so that makes it 'special'. Whether during a sudden shock SHTF situation or the slow drain of the current economic depression, there are far worse places to be if you want to grow/catch your own food, put-up canned whoo-knows-what in the pantry for winter and enjoy living so far from Baltimore, D.C. Richmond... You know the score. We do have a slight problem with the 'entitlement class' locally and their tendency toward criminality - even when well fed by our tax dollars, but if the economy goes 'bang! , that can be worked-out - if necessary, which it will HAVE TO be worked-out peacfully, whatever that requires. The tools for working this out depend entirely upon their initial tactics for feeding themselves by their own hands, many for the first time in a generation or two. Farming and fishing without fuel requires labor (1) We'll all be a little thinner, which - looking ay MY wastline, wouldn't be a bad thing - in moderation.

... and then, there's ham radio -...-  but that's for another day.

de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

White Tiger

RadioRay - regarding the entitlement class: they have a surprising affinity for self-preservation. Those that figure wrong, don't last long. Many tend to self-eliminate.

At any rate - the concept of "keeping your powder dry" comes to mind during periods of civil unrest.

My particular swamp is located much further south. I hope I never have to use the preparations for what I think is coming - I prepared for the worst I have ever seen...and being a civilian you wouldn't think that to be too bad...but I have seen months of power outage, been completely cut-off from accessing my family for months, seen National Guardsmen armed with automatic weapons standing guard at gas stations, and in front of grocery stores...and even in that environment I've seen carloads of men cruising a neighborhood - later found they were armed and driving around listening for the sound of a generators...

Anyone can survive a few days of inconvenience - heck most of us have 3 to 4 days of food on-hand that we don't really like - that we could live on for THAT long...what NO one is prepared for is that our grocery stores have 3 days of food on the shelf - very few people in this country have ANY plan for what would happen if they were cut off for several weeks or months...

...you only ever have to go through something like that once before deciding you won't ever do it again.

gil

I don't have a plan...

I wish I owned land somewhere isolated, but no... I have no family within reach. So, basically, it's me and that's it.
Everything I read about prepping emphasizes group strength. Something I definitely need to work on.
I have friends, but most of them are certain everything will always be just fine. I am not so sure.
As far as being prepared, I'd say I am half-way there. Emphasis for me, given my predicament, is mobility.
Finding prep per-friends is not easy, because I don't want to draw attention to myself. My few friends who would be good candidates for a prepping group don't have the means to buy any supplies. The wealthy ones don't care, they have their heads in the sand. Isn't that peculiar?

My only possible plan is to move to the American West or somewhere in Asia or South America.. In any case, not inside any large or medium city.
The older I get though, the more important the proximity of a good hospital becomes, just in case...

Ya'll have a great week-end,

Gil.

raybiker73

I have several plans for several possible scenarios, but I don't rely heavily on them. Like someone once said (I think it was Eisenhower or Churchill), "the battle plan only lasts until the first shot is fired." I'm fortunate in that I live about 100 miles from the nearest large city, in a very rural area, and I come from a culture where growing your own food and fixing your own problems is the norm. The problem is, if some major catastrophe were to occur, and all those (literally) millions of people from the cities were to spread like locusts across the countryside, they would eventually get here. That's the point where the plans don't matter much anymore.

I think that we as preppers sometimes tend to underestimate the size of the problem. I know I'm guilty of it myself once in a while. But, consider just HOW MANY people there are in the U.S. alone. If you take all the preppers, and even add in all the rural/homesteader folks and people who practice at least a small amount of self-sufficiency, we are a very very VERY tiny minority, and the plague of locusts has the advantage just on sheer numbers. And, they are for the most part utterly and completely dependent on retailers, governments and raw purchasing power to fulfill even their most basic needs. They'll be tired, they'll be hungry, they'll be desperate, and sooner or later they'll be headed straight for us in numbers that defy comprehension.

That said, I am well-stocked and well-supplied, I grow and preserve a lot of food, I fix my own equipment and load my own ammo, I hunt and fish and trap, I use heirloom seeds so that seeds can be "recycled" from year to year, etc. I think that in the event of a catastrophe, I'd be one of the ones with a decent chance of surviving. I hope I never have to test it.

White Tiger

Quote from: gil on October 12, 2012, 08:55:59 PM
I don't have a plan...

I wish I owned land somewhere isolated, but no... I have no family within reach. So, basically, it's me and that's it.
Everything I read about prepping emphasizes group strength. Something I definitely need to work on.
I have friends, but most of them are certain everything will always be just fine. I am not so sure.
As far as being prepared, I'd say I am half-way there. Emphasis for me, given my predicament, is mobility.
Finding prep per-friends is not easy, because I don't want to draw attention to myself. My few friends who would be good candidates for a prepping group don't have the means to buy any supplies. The wealthy ones don't care, they have their heads in the sand. Isn't that peculiar?

My only possible plan is to move to the American West or somewhere in Asia or South America.. In any case, not inside any large or medium city.
The older I get though, the more important the proximity of a good hospital becomes, just in case...

Gil.

Gil, you make it here, and you have a place to stay on your way out west - we'll make you the head of comms or group security - your choice!  Maybe while you're here you can teach me something about morse and the the rest of our group about comms & self-defense while you're here!

You might have to bring some food - And I know that compromises your desire to travel light - but if for no other reason, you could use it to barter your way into a vehicle and/or fuel!

RadioRay

White Tiger -  Yes - they are the initial problem and it may take way too much time after things go BANG! for the generally decent people to get up to speed with that fact and be willing to man check-points and etc.  At least we only have a VERY limited avenue of land-based approach.  Anything on the water that is out-of-place would have a tough time getting through and many of these guys may not swim all that well, especially with some of the lead weights we'd be sending their way - at high speed.   8)

The next group of 'people' if we want to call them that, would be federal politicians takine advantage of the situation for their own avarice.  We would be better-off left alone, but that was tried before and the Feds invaded The South then too. Let's hope that it never comes to any of this and that we can once again be a nation ruled by only 10 Laws, without a total meltdown. I can - however- forsee the Feds confiscating from 'hoarders and vigilantes'.... and the media covering their actions in smiling-head accolades for the generally dumb viewers.

Yes - I had an aquaitance of mine kicked into a coma in the L.A. Riots.  He tried to go out there to help with a Bible under his arm.  If you knew him, you'd know that he was genuine in that he lived his beliefs. It took him two years to die in the hospital, at untold cost to his family.  As far as I know, his murderers are voting (or running?) in the upcoming elections...

I'd rather team with 5 of the right types than 20 of the wrong. There is a good mix of skills within one mile of this place and I intend to be one of them.

de RadioRay ..._ ._

White Tiger

Love the picture - and the sentiment RadioRay!

I too hope it never comes to that - but I am concerned that these classes weren't invented for nothing. Someday, someone, somewhere will try to push the class war a little too far. What scares me is that we are so dangerously close to 50% being bought-off by government types that take from me to buy favors for them...

No, I think if you come for the bull, you shouldn't be surprised to find the horns.

It is a lesson that has to be constantly taught.

If we keep letting others define "fair" there won't be anyone left to defend the wagon pullers, from the wagon riders...

gil

Thanks Tim, yes, I think I would make it there ;) I don't think I would be a good Morse teacher though :-\ Hand-to-hand combat, certainly, but I know near to nothing about tactics other than what I've learned from books and a few tips from my ex-Spetsnaz instructor.. I wish I had military experience, always can come handy.. Too old for that now. I have a month worth of food, not the appetizing type, and will add more to that very soon. I need a new tent, otherwise I'm set with camping gear. My bug-out bag is 75% done.

I would want to move to the West before any triggering event. After would probably be too late. I think there are many "like-minded" individuals there. I bought a topographic map of Idaho last summer, when the idea germinated in my head. It was August, so of course that helped. Luckily for me (or because I made the right career choice), I can work from anywhere as long as I have Internet. Tough I am getting tired of computers. I like building stuff, designing actually.. Idaho is only an idea so far, but who knows...

I want to learn more about country living. I wished I had hovered around my Grandmother when I was a kid, I would have learned a lot, instead of just eating the stuff! I also want to learn more about Horses... I know just enough about hunting.

Hopefully the National deficit will just evaporate, right?  ::)

Gil.

Sunflower

Quote from: gil on October 12, 2012, 08:55:59 PM
I don't have a plan...

Gil.

Don't short change yourself. One is more mighty than a lot of heavy weighted fringe and more mouths to feed and protect. It is easier to blend in or hid as a "ONE."

I have options not plans exactly. My options increase with the more I learn and take action ).

Money is the least of the problems. The poorest people I have known are the best prepared on a moment to moment basis. There life style is simple and they are independent.  These are the kind of people that would not cry over a snowstorm closing down the roads for 6 weeks, or electric down 6 weeks due to ice damage over most the state. These comments are made with real people in mind - stuff I have experienced or witnessed. 

Most of these people do not call themselves preppers, but might acknowledge that they think the world is in a mess of trouble.

BTW,  chickens don'ts come home to roost unless you open the door and feed them. Food does not come from food stamp cards (SNAP). The most important parts of my prepping have had little to no expense to them. Much of what has cost money, has ended up costing me less money because I buy in bulk and eat very differently now.

I am not grinding my own wheat yet, but I do have a grinder finally. Later, since I am in wheat country, I hope to buy in bulk - I mean in biger bulk than mill sacks. I have been reading on the internet how to clean grain, how process corn, etc. There is a lot of food growing around me that for a long while I was to inept to even consider how to process into real food. Like from field to kitchen counter. I am less intimidated by those considerations now.

I no longer buy fatfree food when I shop (like premade dressings, icecream). I recently made that decision. Fat free stuff is not making me thinner, and when the grid is down around here, it is the fat that keeps me happier. Think of such foods as mental health help.

Vitamins and spices are a big part of my plans. I have 200 pounds of salt stored up. Of the parts of my plans (options and lack of options) is communications, hence this site.

Fukishima, many other examples point to the hazards of depending on a sail boat. I vote for hiding. Do I have such options yet, no, but it is a longterm dream goal. That is one option I want to have. Yes, there is the land, but water and other factors will have to line up. I am very very lucky as far as the potential to reach some of my goals/dreams. Not all perfect, but the locations I have in mind will be 100percent better than being out in the open should things get to that.

underhill

We have a plan, but it's heavily seasoned with a concept borrowed from a local SAR group: "Semper Gumby", or always flexible.

I agree that the country is in trouble, and things could easily go sideways at any time.  One of our main natural disasters here, would be a major earthquake, which after the first Great Shakeout exercise a few years back, is actually well defined, and time spent preparing for this has us somewhat prepared for most anything but a direct nuke strike.   Firestorms, grid-down, national guard activations, you name it are likely after a major quake here.

We've always been campers and outdoor oriented, so the basic plan is for 'bug-in', to slip into camping mode, with some stealth as needed, including a radio watch to monitor local freqs, for a clue as to what may be coming our way, power generation will be limited to solar panels.  Really nowhere else for us to go right now, tho the location is really lousy, I'm pretty surrounded by 'entitlement' types.

I took CERT training with an adjacent city, Long Beach, they were very ham friendly, but focused away from my hometurf, nach. 

Later, CERT was offered in my local city, so my wife and I took the course together.  LA County fire hosted, and it was not so ham friendly (WE will do the comms, >YOU< won't be needing it).  Ok fine, reset my expectations with them.  Still the standardized CERT training was worthwhile.

I had hoped that inside intel would flow, but hasn't proved to be the case, really.  The local ARES group mission is evolving to support the hospitals in the region, and most sub regions have been grouped into a LA County-wide core, which seems to be centered in the opposit end of the county, about 70-90 miles from my home turf, again. 

So, none of the 'institutional' groups, in this area, seem to meet the needs I perceive for my family group.

With sons moved out this year, one married, one with long term girlfriend (very likely married soon, lol), things have gotten a bit easier, but at the same time more complicated.  Can't seem to get the concept of infrastructure free comms being essential to them, nothing ever 'breaks' here, so complacency is easy.  Also, we've started casting an eye toward possible relocation, Alpine Az, or further north? LOve mountains, not so much deserts, but fewer people in the deserts.  Lots of food potential in ocean coastal environments.  Planning has to focus on what/where we are, as well as where might end up, hoping we have enought time to get there.

Current goals for myself and wife, mine are to push us into more infrastructure free comms, I'm starting to slowly teach her how to use the spare HT (I have a couple of vx-6r's, they hear the entire local spectrum of interest, and don't drink too much power) to gather intel locally, and she is very slowly studying for her tech, right now using ham test online.  Aside from comms, working on improving cashflow.  I've also tried growing various veggies with mixed results, right now I've had success with several culinary herbs, so keep trying with the edibles.  It's a learning curve.  Livestock, not yet, location. 

Also in the queue I want to try to learn some primitive blacksmithing, there is a pretty good video from Hoods woods on knife making which would be a good starting point.   Also they haven a video on Bronze casting I don't yet have.

Good question, some great comments, I loved the intro picture, RadioRay, I might use it a a cover for the 'family disaster handbook', lol.  Keep the subject matter in the right mood, lol. 

Have a great day everyone

Underhill

Sunflower

@ underhill, nice to hear about wife's interest in amatuer radio. Congratulations with the son's out of the nest. Perhaops, I now understand the "underhill" phrase better.  8)

underhill

Hi, Sunflower

Actually, um,  underhill... I am a bit of a Tolkien fan, and in the lord of the rings, book 1 after leaving the Shire with the Ring, the protagonist, a hobbit named Frodo Baggins, took on the 'traveling name' of Mr. Underhill, as directed by Gandalf the wizard, in an attempt to avoid the Black Riders of Mordor, who were pursuing him in an attempt to take the ring of power from him.   Of course the ruse didn't work very long.

It has a number of allusions that appealed to me.  If I'm using an online alias, might as well have a little fun with it, lol.

Wow, that sounds nerdy! :)

Underhill