Elecraft KX1 ATU and Paddle Kits

Started by KK0G, May 16, 2013, 10:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KK0G

Tuner completed and installed in the KX1, time to align and test.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KK0G

Ray wasn't kidding, Elecraft has absolutely superb engineers, I am truly impressed with these accessories for my KX1. Everything fit like a glove and practically fell right into place in no time flat, you can tell they put a lot of forethought into the design of this radio. To top it all off there nothing even close to it as a trail rig in my opinion, dare I say the perfect trail rig, at least for the time being until Elecraft designs one even better  8). After building and using this radio I'm seriously considering selling my beloved Kenwood TS-2000 to fund the purchase of an Elecraft K2 kit.

Tomorrows top objective when I get home from work: try out the KX1 with it's new ATU and built in paddle. Time to hit the rack for now.
de KK0G SK
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RadioRay

Congratulations!  It's easy to become spoiled, having the internal ATU and nice receiver.  The ability to use just about any piece of wire as an antenna (though not always at peak efficiency) makes this an excellent add-on, especially for a back country radio person.  In an emergency, that 'odd bit of wire' may be all that you have.

>>>  I especially was delighted when I learned that they included the ability to listen to shortwave broadcasts. I used to haul along a separate shortwave receiver to keep up on world news and during winter trips, to help pass the looooong dark nights. 

>de Radioray ..._ ._

Ps. Maybe we can set-up to work KX1 to KX1?
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

Quote from: RadioRay on May 21, 2013, 08:09:51 AM
Ps. Maybe we can set-up to work KX1 to KX1?

Yes we'll have to do that soon Ray. I'd set a sked for this evening but I'm not sure what time it'll be by the time I get home and get a new antenna built - not that it takes long to cut a chunk of wire to 24' and add a connector.

KK0G

RadioRay

I'll do a little propagation study and write-up a quick sked. My barn-yard math says that we'll be on 30m in early evening or 40m from 9 pm (central) onward - whichever fits your schedule.

>de RadioRay ..._ ._

Ps. I'll post it here, so that other - unseen forces - might participate .... Moooo-ha-ha-ha!

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

Quote from: RadioRay on May 21, 2013, 09:56:36 AM
I'll do a little propagation study and write-up a quick sked. My barn-yard math says that we'll be on 30m in early evening or 40m from 9 pm (central) onward - whichever fits your schedule.

>de RadioRay ..._ ._

Ps. I'll post it here, so that other - unseen forces - might participate .... Moooo-ha-ha-ha!

Sounds good. I'll probably be available by around 1900 EST for a 20 meter sked or most anytime later in the evening on 40 meters, can't do 30 meters on the KX1............ yet.

KK0G

White Tiger

They're capturing it anyway...might as well invite them...

...besides, how could evil be wrapped in such furry fun...

If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

cockpitbob

I've got a question for you KX1 gurus.
I have a full-up (bought used) KX1 with 80/30M and ATU.  I tried my first field deployment this week and the tuner didn't do what I expected.  I threw a 25' wire up in a tree and had a 33' counterpoise laying on the ground.  On 40, 30 and 20M the tuner would buzz but never find a match below about 6:1. 

I know the ATU isn't completely busted because under other circumstances with other antennas it will find good matches.  I've also had it match to a 100ohm resistor.  It usually finds a good match.

What confuses me is the ATU manual suggests a 25' wire with counterpoise, and it couldn't find a useable match with what the manual suggests.  I have thoroughly inspected the ATU and the inductors are all correct and the caps look correct and healthy.

Any ideas?

KK0G

Quote from: cockpitbob on July 04, 2014, 04:18:39 PM
I've got a question for you KX1 gurus.
I have a full-up (bought used) KX1 with 80/30M and ATU.  I tried my first field deployment this week and the tuner didn't do what I expected.  I threw a 25' wire up in a tree and had a 33' counterpoise laying on the ground.  On 40, 30 and 20M the tuner would buzz but never find a match below about 6:1. 

I know the ATU isn't completely busted because under other circumstances with other antennas it will find good matches.  I've also had it match to a 100ohm resistor.  It usually finds a good match.

What confuses me is the ATU manual suggests a 25' wire with counterpoise, and it couldn't find a useable match with what the manual suggests.  I have thoroughly inspected the ATU and the inductors are all correct and the caps look correct and healthy.

Any ideas?

Change wire length. 33' is almost dead perfect 1/2 wavelength on 20 meters, you definitely want to avoid that. Knock about 15 feet off of that and it'll probably work perfect.

KK0G

cockpitbob

I finally got around to checking my KX1's ATU.  One relay was dead and another was suspect.  I replaced all 7 relays.

to verify it was OK I got three 50ohm resistors and ran some tests with various resistive loads.  It did a good job tuning 100 ohm and  150ohm resistive loads.  However, going the other way it could only tune a 25ohm load to a 1.4:1 SWR and the best it could do with a 16.7 ohm load was 2.5:1.  I know this is a little simplistic, but it seems like it does a poor job of tuning low impedance antennas. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge that agrees with this?

Lamewolf

Quote from: RadioRay on May 16, 2013, 10:50:18 PM
Good call.  These are useful items.  That ATU works VERY well!  Also, the more thin wires, connectors and externally connected necessities, the higher will be the system mortality index  (har har). As you know - in the woods, simpler is usually more survivable. Add wire binding posts to the KX-1 so that you can connect wire directly to the antenna , just in case you do not have a working BNC and/or adapter.  /Voice of experience here. BNC connectors are easily jammed into the nooks and crannies in a vibram sole of a boot then torn OFF of the end of RG-174 coax.  moo-ha-ha-ha!/     :o  I ALWAYS added wire terminals of SOME kind on my wilderness radios after that little incident!

>de RadioRay ..._ ._

I eliminated the need for feedline for the most part on my portable operations except for a short RG58 jumper and PL259 connectors by building an end fed half wave wire tuner.  The jumper is about 6 inches land and the tuner can also be attached to the rig via a double ended PL259 adapter eliminating coax completely.  Been thinking of building the rig, and tuner into one enclosure and adding wire terminals.  And I will do that as soon as I find the right box with a hinged lid on it.  Got that idea from some dude on a Ron Hood video !  8)

RadioRay

Oh Noooo! Not THAT guy?!?! 

I know him.  In fact, I'm wearing his underwear right now. (The man on the LEFT...)

de RadioRay   ..._  ._

Lamewolf

Quote from: RadioRay on January 26, 2015, 07:17:32 PM
Oh Noooo! Not THAT guy?!?! 

I know him.  In fact, I'm wearing his underwear right now. (The man on the LEFT...)

de RadioRay   ..._  ._

Who let the moose out ??????  ;D