Open Email to WA1W/1.

Started by gil, April 30, 2014, 09:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Emailed tonight:

QuoteSo, is it considered perfectly normal to monopolize a QRP calling frequency non-stop (7030) with W1AW/1 calling every few seconds QRO?
Or are you guys just being assholes?

Gil.

KK0G

I don't think you'll make their Christmas card list with a reply like that. 8)
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

And they sure won't get any membership check from me... They stopped ten minutes after I emailed, but it could be a coincidence.. I just can't believe they'd do something like that. I know 7030 isn't reserved for anyone, but it is widely accepted as a QRP calling frequency. No wonder these guys don't care about policing their contesters, they behave in the same rude way!

BTW I did sign that email with my call sign. Maybe they'll stop sending me their membership offers, at last!

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: gil on April 30, 2014, 10:19:21 PM
BTW I did sign that email with my call sign. Maybe they'll stop sending me their membership offers, at last!
HA HA, fat chance of that! ;D
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RadioRay

They have been running this latest W1AW/X  QRM-fest , using multiple stations on multiple modes operated by multiple operators for months now.  WHEN is a 'special event station' no longer 'special'?  Why is it that no ham can broadcast, but W1AW can?  W1AW does NOT listen before they fire-up the Newington, CT. bulletins.  I've been in the middle of a QSO in CW or Data when W1AW just opens-up like artillery on the same hams they claim to represent.

I have no, zero, none , nada , zilch, kein, nits,  - use for them. They are useless as boobs on Hillary, Pelosi and Michelle Obama. - Welllll, OK, maybe not THAT useless, but close.

>de RadioRay ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

QuoteWhy is it that no ham can broadcast, but W1AW can?

I have always wondered about that...

Gil.

Luigi

I hang out on the WARC bands because they are supposed to refrain from contesting there. In theory...
Those folks have ruined many QSOs in the past. Wait until the RTTY crowd starts up soon. Run for the hills.
Luigi

vwflyer

Quote from: gil on May 01, 2014, 12:56:16 AM
QuoteWhy is it that no ham can broadcast, but W1AW can?

I have always wondered about that...

Gil.

Are you guys just ranting or do you really wonder about that?

gil

QuoteAre you guys just ranting or do you really wonder about that?

Both.

Gil.

vwflyer

Quote from: gil on May 01, 2014, 11:05:05 AM
QuoteAre you guys just ranting or do you really wonder about that?

Both.

Gil.

I didn't want to splainit to ya just to find out ya already know and I'm just mak'n a dweeb of myself, but if ya want to know...

Broadcasting is transitions intended for the general public (non-hams) and is never allowed. Except for maybe in emergencies.
One way communications are intended for other hams and should not contain content of interest to the general public.
Examples of acceptable one way communications are: morse code practice, telemetry, radio controlled craft, beacons, bulletins that are of no interest to the public, etc.
The tricky part about one way communications is that the rules about sharing the bands and not causing interference still apply but for things like radio remote control and beacons, it can be hard to assure compliance sometimes. A person should at least make a reasonable attempt at compliance with these rules though. I agree with you that WA1Ws strict time and freq. schedule is hardly an attempt at compliance.

Luigi

Good response. Their broadcasts are nice for code practice, the content is not interesting at all. Since they are using a computer to send, the letters are easier to understand. As long as they stay within their schedule that is fine. The contesting part, is an issue. I think the problem is they are on a qrp frequency and they cannot hear anyone transmitting at very low wattage levels far away. They start transmitting at high power and they unknowingly ruin many transmissions. They should look at the band plan and avoid qrp frequencies.

Luigi

gil

QuoteI think the problem is they are on a qrp frequency and they cannot hear anyone transmitting at very low wattage levels far away.

Not only that, but he was operating split, UP1.. So, no regard at all for anyone on 7030. He was obviously very high power as well. Two seconds between calls. Don't mind me if I'm trying to call a friend with 5W in between his calls...  >:(

Gil.