Started by gil, June 28, 2013, 10:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KK0G

Quote from: gil on July 10, 2013, 12:51:02 AM
QuoteI have noticed that my singing gets much better after a few beers though

The same way heavy-set women get thinner?  :o

Gil.

Now that you mention it I do see a possible correlation. ;D
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KC9TNH

Quote from: gil on June 29, 2013, 12:36:28 PMAnyway, it's too loud for home, and I'm not good enough to play anywhere else! So, I will be getting a little Blackstar HT-1R 1W combo amp for practice. The solid state ones sound like crap to me.

Gil.
Necropost, but... in the spirit of life after work, I've acquired another guitar and am enjoying it immensely. Some recessed things are starting to come back. I'll post pic when I've finished my chase for the amp.*  The good news is that there is so much info on the net from which to make a judgement call that I won't have to make some of the buy/sell/trade decisions I made in the day.  And not playing weekend outdoor fests in the field behind the Harley dealer on top of a flatbed trailer.

The little SS cheapo from local shop is just that - and really bad. I plan to give it to some aspiring thrasher who only knows one number on the dial. But the Strat still feels like a Strat.
Livin' large. I'll have to see if I can workup a run with the fingers & tone that would carry-off my call in CW...
  8)

* and, no, you can't have my EL-84's for a CW rig either.  ;D

raybiker73

Quote from: KC9TNH on October 22, 2013, 09:05:31 PM
The little SS cheapo from local shop is just that - and really bad. I plan to give it to some aspiring thrasher who only knows one number on the dial. But the Strat still feels like a Strat.

An amazingly good little SS amp is the Epiphone-branded Studio 15R (I think it's actually made by Peavey). It's the only guitar amp I own right now, and when you pair it up with a Danelectro Daddy-O pedal and some other minimal effects, it has a really rich sound.

(Note: my amp is tethered to a Les Paul rather than a Strat, so YMMV).

KC9TNH

I believe you, played a couple of Peavey amps back in the day - they do a pretty good job with their SS stuff although they've made a couple of dynamite little tube rigs too. Amp I have is one of those the local guy had that started life as one of those 'package' deals & someone traded it  back to him for some patch cords or something.
Serving its purpose for the moment; the reverb is so bad I dug up an old analog delay unit I had that provides some good slapback, so it can be made un-painful and get some depth.  But I'm a tube guy. Often as not I'm noodling around unplugged anyway for now.

Your Daddy-O is a classic.  ;)

The guitar here is something I always wanted Fender to do; a Strat with 2 humbuckers and positions 2 & 4 on the switch split the humbuckers. You can get a pretty good "stratty" tone out of one of those and the back one of those two brings in the "bark" of a Tele's bridge pickup.  The humbuckers help to make the pre-amp work for its living when trying to get decent sound at "neighborhood friendly" levels. Other than that it's all Strat; just different pickups and its pretty versatile. 15 minutes setting up the trem & it stays in tune; although I don't dive bomb the thing like alot of the kids nowadays (or Beck).

raybiker73

Got me to thinking, I need to get a new copy of Craig Anderton's "Electronic Projects for Musicians." It's probably in about the Fiftieth Edition by now. I had a copy when I was a teenager, and it's what got me started on trying to make noisy things.

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Projects-Musicians-Craig-Anderton/dp/0825695023

raybiker73

Quote from: KC9TNH on October 22, 2013, 10:13:20 PM

Your Daddy-O is a classic.  ;)

I love the Daddy-O. It's a great pedal. I don't really play much anymore, and when I do it's usually on 4 strings rather than six, so I don't have much in the way of guitar effects. I just have 3 Danelectro pedals: the Daddy-O, a Fab Metal and a Fab Chorus. They definitely get the job done.

lankford

Just adding myself to the "guitar players" amongst us... I have played for 40 years now... created my own method for teaching ( can be seen at www.TheSpeakingGuitar.com ) ...

I am currently teaching advanced guitar along with algebra at my girls home school co-op ...

I have not played in a band since I was in my late teens... we were pretty good and played some pretty big gigs with a little radio play here in atlanta... but alas... the singer hated the drummer... the drummer hated the bass players girlfriend... <sigh>

SO

I learned to play without band members... so much less drama but I do miss writing with other people...

I have 3 main guitars now...

1) a small ibanez that a friend gave me... sounds terrible... plays great... I don't have to plug it in, just pull it off the wall and play... that is what I play most...

2) an epiphone humming bird knockoff I bought off ebay in 2 pieces... ( headstock broken off ) .. I fixed it and that is my main acoustic... ( I sold my taylor because it was too nice and I was paranoid it would get scratched... this I don't worry about... if it needs a case... it is too nice for me ;)

3) a variax 700 for recording... this was another reason to sell the taylor... when recording straight into the board... this guitar sounds even better than the taylor did...

matt

Archangel320420

I play piano. No amps needed. I am musically QRP.

KC9TNH

Quote from: Archangel320420 on October 25, 2013, 12:47:58 PM
I am musically QRP.
OK, you said the magic word. Not for me but here is a demo of a little Vox bedroom amp that will run at 4w, 1w, and 1/4w. Note: The guy that does the video makes his own OD pedal, and probably produces the best demo vids around, because you don't have to watch him play, or look at his art collection or dirty laundry.  The camera is on the amp controls, so you can correlate potential amp settings to what you're hearing.

(DISCLAIMER:  I do have one of his pedals, smoothest OD I've ever played.)
No.  He is NOT Jack Black incognito.

Enjoy the little Vox AC4

KC9TNH

Quote from: raybiker73 on October 24, 2013, 01:44:25 AMI don't really play much anymore, and when I do it's usually on 4 strings rather than six,...
Bass, straight banjo, uke...?
:)

raybiker73

Quote from: KC9TNH on October 25, 2013, 03:36:53 PM
Quote from: raybiker73 on October 24, 2013, 01:44:25 AMI don't really play much anymore, and when I do it's usually on 4 strings rather than six,...
Bass, straight banjo, uke...?
:)

Bass. I have a few pics somewhere of bands I was in during high school and college. It's fun to look back on those days when I had things like big 80's hair and muscle tone and reasonable hope for the future.  ::)

KC9TNH

Quote from: raybiker73 on October 25, 2013, 06:56:18 PM
Bass.
Salud. As Lowell George said once in the liner credits for an old Little Feat album, "do not take lightly this instrument known simply as 'bass'."  I've been in plenty of bands where, if there was a competent bass player, the drummer could take a powder & not be missed.

And so Gil's LP Jr. isn't alone, finally got a pic of the Blacktop series Strat with a Fender Blues Jr. amp.
Edit: bad lighting. It's called Sonic Blue (after the '56 Caddy factory color) with a light minty pickguard.  Fender picked alot of their colors bag in the day from the factory Detroit color palette. (I love Sea Foam Green, which came on a Buick of the same year.)
Anyway, back to making noise. As JJ Cale said, "They Call Me the Breeze"
8)