Know Your Phonetic Alphabet.

Started by gil, July 25, 2016, 05:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Listening to a bit of SSB lately I find it most aggravating. Maybe it is a sign of aging. There are however practices that are clearly contraindicated to good communications. I can resume the main one in a short sentence: "O" isn't "Ocean!" I could make a long list... Not using the official phonetic alphabet makes it very hard to copy a call sign when the conditions aren't ideal, not to mention by people who's primary language isn't English.  It makes the operator sound pretty ignorant as well.. I always repeat the call sign correctly, maybe they'll learn something...

LEARN THE PHONETIC ALPHABET!

Using random words to spell doesn't sound cool. It hinders efficiency and clarity, especially in an emergency situation when precision can mean life or death.

Gil.

cockpitbob

Gil, I agree 100%.  Like you, during training for my pilot's license I was taught how critical clear, concise, accurate communication is and to only use the official phonetic alphabet.

When I first got on HF I couldn't believe some of what I was hearing.  The one that most sounds like fingernails on a blackboard to me is Kilowatt.  I wasn't sure if he was saying K or K and W.  The only time I'll stray is when the other station can't quite copy my call.  Then I'll give it 2 ways.  If Alpha Bravo One Lima Tango isnt working, I'll also throw in America Bacon Number-One Lettuce Tomato  ;D

gil

cockpitbob