Pelican Cases For KX3, MTR and K1.

Started by gil, April 27, 2013, 05:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

I really like Pelican cases. Looking for the smallest one that would fit my KX3, I settled on the model 1150. It does fit, barely. The problem is that the BNC antenna plug does touch the hard side of the case. A good shock would undoubtedly damage it if the case was dropped on it's right side. This negates the usefulness of the foam insert. So, I decided to use the 1150 for my MTR and to get the model 1200 for my KX3. I glued the removed foam back into the case, and will pluck out what needs to be removed to accomodate my whole MTR station after it cures, including transceiver, key, antenna, batteries, earphones and mini speaker.

I have a model 1400 for my K1, but I need to downsize to another model 1200. Pelican does sell spare foam inserts for their cases. I might need one for the 1150, and certainly one for the 1400.

I don't think you can find stronger waterproof cases on the market, and fortunately, in the smaller sizes (1200 and smaller), they do not cost too much.

Gil.

Geek

You can get the foam material in bulk and cut to fit.  You'll pay extra for the Pelican name so when you search for it don't mention Pelican just use a search term like "foam insert" or "luggage foam"

gil

QuoteYou can get the foam material in bulk and cut to fit.  You'll pay extra for the Pelican name so when you search for it don't mention Pelican just use a search term like "foam insert" or "luggage foam"

Good advise, thanks.

Gil.

gil

Here is the Weber MTR station in the Pelican 1150, with batteries, DCP paddles, earphones, BetterQRP tuner and LNR wire/choke. I am not happy about the arrangement and will order a replacement foam set for $8. Oh well... At least everything needed to operate fits in the case.

Gil.

KK0G

I use a watertight gasketed box made by Outdoor products. it's nowhere near the quality of a Pelican but it's advantage is that it's cheap, i bought mine at Wal-Mart for less than $10.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KC9TNH

I've used both kinds of cases for various reasons; the simple waterproof cases KK0G mentioned which can be found at Walmart in a variety of sizes are very neat for a whole range of things without too much money into them, especially if you just want to store something better that may already be getting packed with (and protected by) other stuff.

War story (not mine, well only slightly) on the Pelicans: During the early days following 11 Sep 2001, many of our Reserve & National Guard units barely had what they were officially supposed to have (to fight Ivan's tanks using a 50-yr old plan), let alone modern stuff like LAPTOPS and small routers & so on. They were also going to a place that looked like The Dawn of Man (but with machine guns & SUVs). So we issued them commercially-procured gear & I made sure to get them sufficient Pelican cases for their stuff - the Pelican rep I dealt with was awesome. Anyway, many months later I get an email out of the blue from a Soldier who related to me how that case saved their bacon when a Humvee had an "accident" during a bridge crossing and a bunch of their laptops ended up in the river. They chased 'em down, couple miles downstream, and recovered them as the FLOATED by, nothing inside the worse for wear and proceeded to continue the mission.

I'm sure there's other good stuff out there but if it's important enough that it really no-BS has to be protected, the Pelican is hard to beat and their support in my eyes exemplary.
DISCLAIMER; I don't work for or represent Pelican (and I sure the heck don't work at Walmart).
;D

Thanks for the pics gents.

gil

QuoteI use a watertight gasketed box made by Outdoor products. it's nowhere near the quality of a Pelican but it's advantage is that it's cheap, i bought mine at Wal-Mart for less than $10.

I have one of those... The Pelicans do however look much stronger... That is why I don't mind spending a bit of money on them. It does cost much more to replace a radio!

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: gil on April 27, 2013, 09:16:49 PM
QuoteI use a watertight gasketed box made by Outdoor products. it's nowhere near the quality of a Pelican but it's advantage is that it's cheap, i bought mine at Wal-Mart for less than $10.

I have one of those... The Pelicans do however look much stronger... That is why I don't mind spending a bit of money on them. It does cost much more to replace a radio!

Gil.

No doubt. You can park a truck on top of a Pelican case with nothing more than possibly a few scuff marks, I bet I could kick my Walmart special and break it.  ;D
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

QuoteI bet I could kick my Walmart special and break it.

Yep. I was happy to have it for my camping trip tough, at least my radio was dry... Small waterproof cases like that, even the cheap ones can be used for so many things...

Gil.

W5MMT

Look like a nice case, I like the sturdiness and waterproofness, and I guess it would be good if you kept it in a ammo can or aluminum case. I keep my in an aluminum case to protect against EMP or a solar flare. I have several QRP CW monobanders, 2 K2's, 3 FT-817's and 4 KX3's split between Texas and Thailand. I keep them and fold up 27 watt solar panels and also fold up AA/AAA solar chargers. I try to buy stuff that uses AA cells or AAA cells.

The one exception to this is the 13.4 volt Lithium-ion nano phosphate pack the Buddipole sells. I have several of these with 4 charges. I have a lot of radio 'go kits' set up. Until I retire and sell my company (maybe next year) I spend most of my time in Thailand.

The best walk around antenna I've found is the AlexLoop mag loop. I've worked the U.S. with if from Thailand. I have a LOT of portable antennas. I love my Buddipole and my portable HexBeam. But, I keep everything in aluminum cases and those inside the gun safe or ammo cans.

W5MMT / HS0ZAC

cockpitbob

I just found my new favorite water tight case.  The Sterilite Ultra Latch boxes have a silicone o-ring and latches on all 4 sides.  Though not as rugged as a Pelican, they weigh a fraction of what a Peilican weighs and cost just a few dollars each.
http://www.sterilite.com/ProductCategory.html?ProductCategory=58&section=4

I'm keeping my little Pelican for my MTR rig, but when weight counts I'm using the Sterilite.