Ultra-Portable Amateur Digital

Started by STN, October 07, 2016, 04:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STN

Hello guys.
I'm often asked about ultra-portable amateur digital comms. So I thought right now would be an excellent time to kick off an ultra portable digital comms series. In this article we discuss three different variants for Ultra portable amateur digital communications. We go through the benefits and weaknesses of each system as well as briefly covering system capabilities.

You can read the full article here.http://www.survivaltechnology.net/demonstrating-ultra-portable-amateur-digital-stations/

OH8STN

Sparks

Quite interesting, except this operator is not and will not be into things Windows and/or Android.

I already own a Yaesu FT-817ND, and the day I see it configured with a MacBook Air, an iPad, or an iPhone, I will read closely.

cockpitbob

Quote from: Sparks on October 07, 2016, 07:35:35 PM
Quite interesting, except this operator is not and will not be into things Windows and/or Android.

I already own a Yaesu FT-817ND, and the day I see it configured with a MacBook Air, an iPad, or an iPhone, I will read closely.
Resistance is futile.  You will be assimilated.  :o

Seriously, I would love to get into ultra-light digital modes.  But I need a radio that will do that.  My MFJ-9420 20meter SSB rig can probably do digital with a Wolphilink, but I doubt it's frequency stability is good enough to be useful.  I keep dithering between an FT-817 and a KX2.

BTW, I have a Dell Venue tablet that's a full Win-8 machine.  The touchscreen with Windows sucks so bad I use a Bluetooth mouse with it, but it would be a great digital modes device (I think). 

STN

The MFJ can't be any worse than the YouKits TJ2B which works fine. I also tried with a windows machine, but ultimately decided on Linux for Netbooks, and Android for tablets & smartphones.
The Bluetooth keyboard and mouse are cold ideas!

STN

I love when people reply without reading the articles or watching the videos.
The very first example is LINUX BASED!!! :D
I updated the image to show.
I totally agree with you Windows has no place in emergency communications. Android is an excellent lightweight, low current draw solution, when rooted with bloatware removed. Apple? Well everyone has an opinion :D
Thanks for the feedback

Quote from: Sparks on October 07, 2016, 07:35:35 PM

Sparks

Quote from: STN on October 07, 2016, 11:43:51 PM
I love when people reply without reading the articles or watching the videos.
The very first example is LINUX BASED!!! :D
I updated the image to show.
I totally agree with you Windows has no place in emergency communications. Android is an excellent lightweight, low current draw solution, when rooted with bloatware removed. Apple? Well everyone has an opinion :D
Thanks for the feedback

Sorry for not noticing this! (However, Linux is even more Greek to me than Windows and Android already are.)

Quote from: http://www.survivaltechnology.net/demonstrating-ultra-portable-amateur-digital-stations/
The MiniProSC is Plug and Play on Android Linux and Windows systems.

gil

Linux used to be geeky. Now it is a much better, more stable and easier product to use than Window$. Android is as mainstream as can be.. Times change.. While you still can't beat CW, radio has evolved too. We will soon probably see a tablet with a built-in HF/VHF/UHF transceiver. They are already radios with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. A big Chinese manufacturer could probably offer one for $99 if they wanted to.. That's when digital will look appealing to me. It's right around the corner. Already, the way Julian is approaching emergency communications is the future. We just don't have the gear yet. I suspect the next step would be adding Bluetooth to small transceivers so that developers could write apps. I was surprised the KX2 did not have a Bluetooth chip. I can imagine being comfortable in my tent writing an email to send via Bluetooth to the small transceiver set up outside.. Then calling CQ in CW or PSK31, or participating in a SSB net on 80m.. Why we don't have Bluetooth in radios is beyond me.. I hope it's because of some interference issue, because if not, it would be really dumb!

The only way we are going to get the cool stuff is if there are enough of us demanding it. The new gear is not the DIY type.. I will always prefer a simple, tiny CW rig to anything more complex and power hungry, but if someone comes up with an HF Android tablet, will I buy and use it? Hell yes! Now we need more and younger Hams, otherwise when we get the stuff, we'll be more concerned with healthy bowel movements than radio.. Right around the corner, yes, but we could shorten the preceeding stretch of road a bit.. One good reason to take our radios outside, so hey can be seen!

Gil

snare

I agree with Linux (been using it for years) and Android. 
I am learning about FSQ and FSQCall (which will have to be run in Wine on Linux).
I am thinking a Bitx40 (or eventually the new uBitx) with a netbook running Linux until there is a Linux tablet or Android FSQCall.

gil

Quote(or eventually the new uBitx)

Hi, do you have a link on that? Thanks. :)

Gil.

gil

Thanks, I had found this one but wasn't sure it was the one you were referring to. I like the fact that it includes CW, and not as an afterthought like some many SSB kits.

Gil.

snare

You are welcome, And Yes.

it looks very interesting. I am not at the point right now to be able to build it from schematics, so I am hoping they produce a (mostly) complete kit like they have with the Bitx40

geoffrain

Snare, you can run FLDIGI for FSQCall on Windows, Mac or Linux. It does most of the other digital modes as well and works great on my iMac.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/

snare

Yes, I just found that out, fldigi has FSQ integrated.
Hoping there is an Android app soon.

White Tiger

EXCELLENT post, thank you! I've finally secured a BOL - so I'm busy dusting off my comms plan - and digital has always been the plan. Before I went "dark," I began accumulating equipment, mostly based on the input from many of you on this board - things like a eeePC 10" netbook, a mobile interface, a signalink, etc., - also a couple of apps to decode morse/CW for iPad/iPhone...(even seems like I had one for a weak signal mode?)...

...but this is a completely new/exciting direction, again, THANKS for posting!
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.