Rock-Mite question

Started by NWARadio, April 22, 2014, 08:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWARadio

I'm looking at the one on qrpkits.com That's probably what I'll end up with. So, just a long wire with a counterpoise? Toss it up in a tree and Bob's your uncle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

So long, and thanks for all the fish

KK0G

Quote from: NWARadio on April 23, 2014, 09:19:46 PM
So, just a long wire with a counterpoise? Toss it up in a tree and Bob's your uncle?
Yep, so simple a caveman could do it. ;D
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

cockpitbob

Quote from: NWARadio on April 23, 2014, 09:19:46 PM
I'm looking at the one on qrpkits.com That's probably what I'll end up with. So, just a long wire with a counterpoise? Toss it up in a tree and Bob's your uncle?

So long as the wire is 1/2 wave long or a multiple of half waves.  A 63'  piece of insulated wire is a half wave at 7MHz, 2 half-waves at 14MHz 3 half waves at 21MHz and 4 half waves at 10MHz so it will work on all 4 bands.

madball13

what was the kit price for the MTR?

cockpitbob

The MTR was $155.
It's a tri-bander.  You can pick any 3 of 80/40/30/20/17.  I really want 17M for daytime Dx, but I really want 40/30/20 too.  Deciding will drive me nuts.

madball13

Quote from: cockpitbob on April 23, 2014, 10:33:27 PM
The MTR was $155.
It's a tri-bander.  You can pick any 3 of 80/40/30/20/17.  I really want 17M for daytime Dx, but I really want 40/30/20 too.  Deciding will drive me nuts.

That's crazy cheap for what sounds like a solid radio.

If they are so popular why the limited runs of them?

cockpitbob

Steve seems to do this for the fun, not profit.  He's a talented engineer and probably makes the kind of salary where the little (if any) profit he makes from doing this really isn't worth the enormous time he puts into them.

People are begging him to sell more kits or get qrpkits.com to sell the MTR radios.  I bet if he just made the circuit board artwork public people would team up do their own group builds.

RadioRay

NW -

Unless you specifically wanted to build, these transceivers are four band, small, lite and even include a general coverage shortwave receiver and a full 5 Watts output.

http://www.tentec.com/hb1b-four-band-cw-qrp-transceiver-80-40-30-20-meters/

I've talked with several people on the air who use them.

73 de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

cockpitbob

I have the 40-20 version and like it.  It's the one I talked to Antartica with using a 1/2wave end fed wire.  Rx is actually better than my Yaesu FT-857.

The Ten-Tec has a very nice illuminated LCD display, internal keyer and an S-meter that sort of works as an SWR meter too.  The only reason I didn't upgrade to the 4-band version is I wanted a KX1 with the internal tuner and that cute little key.  Battery current is around 70mA.

gil

I like that Ten-Tec, very close to the KX1, though I am sure the receiver isn't as sensitive. Still, for about $80 less you get a lot for your money. For people who are not into kit building it is a great option!

Gil.

NWARadio

I think I'm going to do a RM2 first.  How can I go wrong  for 40 bucks? Is really like 40/30/20/15 but the hendricks kit I like doesn't have that.  I might even try a separate kit for 15. I don't know yet. I'm going to sign up for the ar sprint yahoo group just in case those mtr kits become available again. I need to start the small cabin on some land we've got so until I make a firm decision I'll do that Rock Mite II and put money into a place to stay while we are cutting down trees and escaping city life for a weekend. I do like that Hendricks kit though.

NWARadio

Sorry about the typos. My phone doesn't always put what I'd like it to.

gil

The elecraft K1 does 40/30/20/15m, albeit for $400, but an awesome radio!

Gil.