Winmor speeds and thruput

Started by WA4STO, November 26, 2012, 06:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WA4STO

I'm sure that many of you who are used to "twisted pair" (and better) data paths would be horrified to see what 'modern' ham radio data rates can be achieved.

OK, so let's look at what I just now experienced:

*** Disconnected from WL2K RMS: W0ECM-10 @ 2012/11/26 22:56:09
*** Session: 1.9 min;  Avg Thruput: 361 Bytes/min;   1 Min Peak Thruput: 577 Bytes/min

Yup, there it is for all the world to see; 361 Bytes/minute average.  That's bytes, not kilobytes, megabytes, or gigabytes.  Piddly little bytes.

But, ya know what?  That's sure one heck of a lot better than ZERO bytes, which is what I would have without my internet connection, and also what I am counting on during the aftermath of "an event".

Don't need no steenkin legtricity; don't need no steenkin internet.  Sure am glad that I have em during 'normal' times!

73 de Luck, WA4STO

KC9TNH

Good deal, thanks for posting.  The testing bears it out, though. When done in packets that provide error-free methods it's a cool mode. Your "exposure" on-air matches my experience today (other thread here) in terms of power used. It's a long time actually if someone is actually DF'ing you. But if they're doing that things have already proceeded to Double Jeopardy where the scores can really change.

As a contingency tool to have in the bag, it's pretty cool, especially if one has a simplified setup, and a proven-to-work easily repeatable antenna setup.
:)

WA4STO

I have also just noticed today that the speed of transmission can vary.  I should have known that from what the folks here have already stated.

I think it's seriously cool that when the conditions are marginal on a given band or frequency, it will show as "V4PSK".  Yesterday, I saw it auto-increase to "V8PSK", while today I spotted it at "V16PSK".  Yee-hah.

That was on 40, with a high level of QRN here.

It reminds me a lot of the capabilities of the 1990-ish CLOVER boards that I was user-testing for QST.  I'm thinking now that the higher CLOVER speeds were probably not even legal on HF at the time. Sigh...

73 de Luck, WA4STO

White Tiger

This may have just qualified you as "Virtual Emergency Comms Director"

Thanks Obee Whan!
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

cockpitbob

So I'm not going to be emailing a 10MB photo with Winmor?   ;D
This is really good to know.  I'm planning on getting into digital and Winmore once the ground gets covered with snow.
It also makes humans doing Morse look pretty fast.  At a Morse speed of 20wpm, you are sending ~100 characters per minute.  Assuming each character would be 8-bits (one byte), that means a human sending 20wpm is doing 100bytes/min.  Slower than Winmore but still respectable.

WA4STO

Quote from: cockpitbob on November 27, 2012, 10:36:04 AM
that means a human sending 20wpm is doing 100bytes/min.  Slower than Winmore but still respectable.

You guys KNOW how much I love CW. 

But I also love error-corrected perfect copy, guaranteed.  That'd be Winmor.

Oh, and then there's the matter of trying to find somebody to take my traffic at 3am.  That'd be Winmor.

CW forever!  <<<< but WL2K?  forever and an event...>>>>>

73 de Luck, WA4STO

gil

If only they had software for Mac and Linux...

Gil.

KC9TNH

Quote from: gil on November 27, 2012, 03:37:50 PM
If only they had software for Mac and Linux...

Gil.
Most astute, complete agreement. I'm thinking along the lines of a pocket-carried OS with a reasonable selection of client tools where I can keep the whole environment separate from the regular laptop OS (for a variety of reasons).

If they'd port RMS Express over to Linux I'd be on that one too like a duck on a junebug if they put its companion foundation programs with it.
8)

EDIT 29 November:  I did locate fldigi for Linux here:
http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html

and the VOACAP propagation s/w (itshf) does have a Linux version as well as for Mac OS X.

Seems as if the RMS Express would get ported to Linux...  well, maybe it's just a matter of time.

WA4STO

Whoo hoo!  check it out:

*** Completed send of message QKEKK4G6A74J...
*** Completed send of message U1E8T267QDRO...
*** Completed send of message B0S59AQ5KVXA...
   FQ
*** Disconnected from WL2K RMS: N9LOH-5 @ 2012/11/28 14:12:04
*** Session: 2.1 min;  Avg Thruput: 589 Bytes/min;   1 Min Peak Thruput: 990 Bytes/min

Almost a kb a minute. 

I'm betting that the thruput increases (doubles in this case, it appears) when either of us has a bunch of traffic to send/receive.  Makes sense.

73 de Luck, WA4STO

KC9TNH

N9LOH has a pretty robust signal.
What's the comparison between the receive or path quality and a station perhaps more distant but still workable, same payload?

WA4STO

Quote from: KC9TNH on November 28, 2012, 11:05:43 AM
What's the comparison between the receive or path quality and a station perhaps more distant but still workable, same payload?

I haven't had the opportunity to check that out yet.

I mean, after all, there ARE priorities.  Big screen monitor just came in for Halo-4.  Now the XYL sez that I can combine RF with the Xbox down in the shack.  Fine.  Be that way!  :)

73 de Luck, WA4STO

White Tiger

Quote from: WA4STO on November 28, 2012, 11:31:21 AM
Quote from: KC9TNH on November 28, 2012, 11:05:43 AM

I haven't had the opportunity to check that out yet.

I mean, after all, there ARE priorities.  Big screen monitor just came in for Halo-4.  Now the XYL sez that I can combine RF with the Xbox down in the shack.  Fine.  Be that way!  :)

73 de Luck, WA4STO

Hah! You haven't tried COD:Black Op's (online), have you?

I "split" the cost of the game with my college student son....then he brought home the new "Assasins Creed" and "Halo 4"...

...so much for Christmas gifts....I had to START working HF because he's too busy playing "Assasins Creed"!

The Frau is not happy with either of us right now, but we echoed your: "fine, be that way..."

...except, my "shack" is a piano bench....so, there's that...

WA4STO

Quote from: White Tiger on November 29, 2012, 10:28:16 AM
...except, my "shack" is a piano bench....so, there's that...

See?  Ya just GOT to get your BOL turban on.

I sent ya a Winmor message about the guy in Arkansas.   Insanely incredible location.  And we have our own member here with an even better one.

Look, I have $2000 a month I can donate to the "collective" for whatever food we can't grow ourselves.  I can provide each dwelling with WA4STO-made refractory wood-burners and I can stock each dwelling with adequate firewood by early fall each year.

All we need now is the property.  Eeek....

Or ... wait ... is my long-dormant 1960s and 1970s hippiedom communes coming back to haunt me?  Hmm...

73 de Luck, WA4STO

White Tiger

Quote from: WA4STO on November 29, 2012, 01:35:21 PM
I sent ya a Winmor message about the guy in Arkansas.   Insanely incredible location.  And we have our own member here with an even better one.

Hmmm...what could be "yummier" than a National Forest..to Paul Bunyan!?

Look, I have $2000 a month I can donate to the "collective" for whatever food we can't grow ourselves.  I can provide each dwelling with WA4STO-made refractory wood-burners and I can stock each dwelling with adequate firewood by early fall each year.

All we need now is the property.  Eeek....

Working on that myself...but unfortunately I'm having to look MUCH closer to home. good news: long growing season and plenty of rain, bad news; you can only grow stuff that does well in sand...

Or ... wait ... is my long-dormant 1960s and 1970s hippiedom communes coming back to haunt me?  Hmm...

So long as we don't have to wear polyester and cable knit ponchos...

WA4STO

Quote from: White Tiger on November 29, 2012, 03:57:02 PM
So long as we don't have to wear polyester and cable knit ponchos...

No, but bell-bottoms maybe, tie-dyed teeshirts probably, and peace signs everywhere -- definitely!

I will draw the line with anybody wanting to stick flowers in my gun barrels...

73 de Luck, WA4STO