Best portable battey pack for QRP HF/CW

Started by caulktel, May 11, 2017, 06:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Hello, I have used LIPO packs like these but kept losing them because I would not pay enough attention to the pack voltage. One cell would go bad and the whole pack was lost. Now I prefer packs that allow you to replace individual cells. This is why I use cell holders and 18650s. I plan on building a 3S pack in a Hammond 1590BB case along with a MPPT, BMS and voltage indicator.

Gil.

Andywragg

For those interested in the Hobbyking Zippy packs, I've had one for some time and have just ordered another. I'm using the 4200mAH 4S 30C LiFEPO4 packs, and charge using the UMAX B6 charger, with the built in balance port. If I get chance this weekend, I hope to get out and do some field radio tests using my existing pack and a borrowed FT-817.
Once a 'STAB in the Dark'
M6UAW

Rowsey1108

I am looking for an external battery tray to plug in to switch out rechargeable AA batteries for a small QRP CW radio. I haven't purchased it yet but just want to know what to look for after I make a purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gil

Make sure you do not take any cell below 3V.

Gil

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Rowsey1108

Ok thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithb

Quote from: Andywragg on March 28, 2018, 12:07:40 PM
For those interested in the Hobbyking Zippy packs, I've had one for some time and have just ordered another. I'm using the 4200mAH 4S 30C LiFEPO4 packs, and charge using the UMAX B6 charger, with the built in balance port. If I get chance this weekend, I hope to get out and do some field radio tests using my existing pack and a borrowed FT-817.

How did the tests go, Andy?

I am interested in an external pack for my 817 and Xiegu 5105, and I have seen some poor reports about the Windcamp 817 pack.

Regards,
Keith

Andywragg

I no longer have the FT-817 as it went back to the owner shortly after my last post here, but I have been using the packs with my FT-290Rii with the 25w amp for contesting on 2m. I can run a whole 2.5 hour ssb contest on 1 pack and only use about 1/2 of the capacity of one of the packs. Really pleased with them.
I've also built myself a 3S3P LiPo 6.6Ah pack from recycled 18650 cells and the Vruzend end caps. I use this with my uBITX /P as I prefer to run the uBITX at a nominal 12v rather than 13.8v. I also have a 3S1P pack made from the same batch cells that I use to run my USB devices such as the R-Pi, via  12V-USB Buck converter. 
Once a 'STAB in the Dark'
M6UAW