Incoming CME, Released December 20, 2014

Started by Joe, January 09, 2014, 09:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Hello All,

The next couple of days could be interesting with the incoming CME.

NASA: Incoming CME Will Cause a Geomagnetic Storm

NOAA is predicting a geomagnetic storm later today as the CME from the X1 flare hits the Earths magnetosphere. The speed of the solar wind will spike at around 1.6 million miles per hour (700km/s). - See more at: http://www.thedailysheeple.com/nasa-announce-incoming-cme-will-cause-a-geomagnetic-storm_012014#sthash.L1xTDRVV.dpuf

The NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC) has the following information for the 9th, 10th and 11th January: - See more at: http://www.thedailysheeple.com/nasa-announce-incoming-cme-will-cause-a-geomagnetic-storm_012014#sthash.L1xTDRVV.dpuf

January 9th

50-90% chance of major-severe geomagnetic storm depending on where you live. The further north you are the higher the percentage of risk

January 10th

50-85% chance of major-severe geomagnetic storm depending on where you live. The further north you are the higher the percentage of risk.

January 11th

1-50% chance of major-severe geomagnetic storm depending on where you live. The further north you are the higher the percentage of risk.
- See more at: http://www.thedailysheeple.com/nasa-announce-incoming-cme-will-cause-a-geomagnetic-storm_012014#sthash.L1xTDRVV.dpuf

Link to article: http://www.thedailysheeple.com/nasa-announce-incoming-cme-will-cause-a-geomagnetic-storm_012014

Joe

RadioRay

Thanks for posting this, Joe. It will interest me to see what happens with my radio skeds.

RadioRay. ..._. ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

RichardSinFWTX

Am I the only one who's hearing the song, "It's the End of the World as We Know It!"  ??  :)

Joe

Ray it should be fun on skeds the next couple of days, and how it affects everything.

2014-01-09 20:02 UTC  CME Has Arrived

The coronal mass ejection (CME), originally expected to arrive around 0800 UTC (3:00 a.m. EST) today, January 9, was observed at the ACE spacecraft just upstream of Earth at 1932 UTC (2:32 p.m. EST).  It's too early to see much with respect to the magnetic structure of this CME, but short-term, high-confidence warnings will be issued as this event plays out.  The original forecast continues to be for G3 (Strong) Geomagnetic Storm activity on January 9 and 10.  Aurora watchers may be in luck for tonight.  The ongoing Solar Radiation Storm, currently at S2 (Moderate) levels, is seeing a modest enhancement with this shock passage but remains below S3 (Strong) threshold at this time.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

G 3  Strong 

Power systems:  voltage corrections may be required, false alarms triggered on some protection devices.

Spacecraft operations:  surface charging may occur on satellite components, drag may increase on low-Earth-orbit satellites, and corrections may be needed for orientation problems.

Other systems:  intermittent satellite navigation and low-frequency radio navigation problems may occur, HF radio may be intermittent, and aurora has been seen as low as Illinois and Oregon (typically 50° geomagnetic lat.)**.

S 2  Moderate 

Biological:  passengers and crew in high-flying aircraft at high latitudes may be exposed to elevated radiation risk.***

Satellite operations: infrequent single-event upsets possible.

Other systems: small effects on HF propagation through the polar regions and navigation at polar cap locations possibly affected.

S 3 Strong 

Biological: radiation hazard avoidance recommended for astronauts on EVA; passengers and crew in high-flying aircraft at high latitudes may be exposed to radiation risk.***

Satellite operations: single-event upsets, noise in imaging systems, and slight reduction of efficiency in solar panel are likely.

Other systems: degraded HF radio propagation through the polar regions and navigation position errors likely.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/NOAAscales/index.html#GeomagneticStorms

gil

This happens every eleven years. It's easy to forget.. Of course there could always be a big one like in 1859. Would we be warned? I believe so. There would be a mad rush to the grocery stores though and everything would be emptied within hours. Better be prepared in advance.. But we all know that. I still keep my radios in a tin can, just in case of a lightning strike. My computer is backed-up online. I think my next purchase will be a metal trash can to put all my electronics in there when not in use.

Gil.

raybiker73

Quote from: gil on January 11, 2014, 09:09:03 PM
This happens every eleven years. It's easy to forget.. Of course there could always be a big one like in 1859. Would we be warned? I believe so. There would be a mad rush to the grocery stores though and everything would be emptied within hours. Better be prepared in advance.. But we all know that. I still keep my radios in a tin can, just in case of a lightning strike. My computer is backed-up online. I think my next purchase will be a metal trash can to put all my electronics in there when not in use.

Gil.

I had considered the trash can plan as well, but then I bought a small metal filing cabinet for $5 at a yard sale and lined the inside with both rubber sheet and cardboard. It is easier to keep things organized, and it's nice that it locks, although a determined intruder could break the lock with a bit of effort.

White Tiger

Ever since ttabs brought this issue up in a thread from long ago...lets see, ah...here it is...http://radiopreppers.com/index.php?topic=330

I have thought of using the filing cabinet idea. From what I have read about this - you do need to consider protecting solid state electronic equipment from CME's - you need to also keep some feedline in your "faraday box" - and watch out about grounding those things. Apparently, grounding systems actually act like antenna's that direct the damaging ion flux right into your shack!

I have a couple of radios, dipoles, and feedline inside two old military night vision goggle cases - made sure the lid has continuity to the base and that the items are suspended in foam and not near enough to the edges of the inside of the case to cause problems.

I carry a 2m Baofeng UV-5R with me in the car and I have recently considered storing it in an ammo can - anyone have some practical experience with something similar?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

gil

Here's mine... I had to eat all the cookies  ::) Big enough for my KX3 and MTR.
Notice the connection between the can and the lid.

Gil.

RadioRay

Why Is It That I Have To Throw Out All Those Radios He Put In The Trash Can, but Was TOO Lazy To ACTUALLY Throw Them Away Himself?!?

de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Good thing I'm single at the moment  :o

Gil.

White Tiger

Quote from: RadioRay on January 13, 2014, 02:12:29 AM

Why Is It That I Have To Throw Out All Those Radios He Put In The Trash Can, but Was TOO Lazy To ACTUALLY Throw Them Away Himself?!?

de RadioRay ..._ ._

Hah, Ray! That certainly adds some perspective...maybe I'll stick with the filing cabinet concept.

RichardSinFWTX

Quote from: gil on January 12, 2014, 11:09:41 PM
Here's mine... I had to eat all the cookies  ::) Big enough for my KX3 and MTR.
Notice the connection between the can and the lid.

Gil.

That's the same thing I do, Gil.  I just added a drawer pull to the lid.  I use those big popcorn tins too.

gil

QuoteI use those big popcorn tins too.

Ah, but I don't like popcorn much ::)

Guess I could find a BIG cookie tin...

Gil.

RichardSinFWTX

Neither do I; but it never fails, every holiday we get at least one.

I dump it out then thoroughly scrub it out.  I screw on the drawer pull then mask off the outer edge of the can and the inner edge of the lid (ensuring a good metal to metal contact) then give the inside of the can and the lid two or three coats of FlexSeal. 

I hope to never have to test the EMP withstanding capability...;)

White Tiger

Quote from: KF5RHI on January 13, 2014, 03:38:12 PM
Neither do I; but it never fails, every holiday we get at least one.

I dump it out then thoroughly scrub it out.  I screw on the drawer pull then mask off the outer edge of the can and the inner edge of the lid (ensuring a good metal to metal contact) then give the inside of the can and the lid two or three coats of FlexSeal. 

I hope to never have to test the EMP withstanding capability...;)

Someone from here (Frosty, or Ray?) gave me a great (read: cheap) way to test the continuity of "lid" to "base"...put a cell phone inside the container, then dial it.

If it rings, you don't have continuity, or it's not a good anti-EMP safe.