Starting the Morse Code Board.

Started by gil, September 03, 2012, 02:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

Duck Works!  I love those guys. "Swaggie" with a Chinese lug.  That is a survivor's boat, in that you can reef in a few second and maintain her without a lot of specialized marine 'stuff' and the special marine prices. That hull shape is designed to survive the occasional 'ooops'!

Now you're talking -  In the words of Sven Yrvind: "Little boats: little problems."

-...-

Sorry to hear about the dirt bags ransacking your boat. Sailboats are so much more than transportation, so in my book piracy - no matter how far or close to shore, only has one basic penalty, with a little wiggle room for mercy - on rare occasions, lest we be barbarians. Ours was a Bayfield 32c (34'6") cutter with tan bark sails, forest green hull and a ton of blonde teak trim. She is a Ted Gozzard design with classic lines, a fine bowsprit and excellent sheer line.  She was a bit showy for me, but it doesn't hurt to be gorgeous when she sails like a dream, especially in rough weather.  Then "Life Happened" and we basically had little choice but to move ashore:  call it 'Providence".

-...-

Glad to know that you understand 'the dream'.

>Ray
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Sunflower

Quote from: gil on September 10, 2012, 12:17:18 PM
My smallest CW radio fits in my shirt pocket  ;)
Can't beat that!

Gil.
What exactly is this? Does the mechanism on top - the handle type piece with plastic covers on the end act as a means to send dits and dahs? Does it really fit in a shirt pocket? Coax cable? antenea?

gil

Hello,

Not everything fits in a shirt pocket.. It is a Morse Code radio (the blue aluminum box). The device on top is a paddle. It is use to create the dits and dahs. Actually, they keyer chip inside the radio does, but the paddle is what you use with your fingers. The left arm makes dits, the right arm makes dahs, or vice-versa, depending on your preference.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9X4wvEACuk

Gil.

Sparks

Quote from: RadioRay on September 10, 2012, 01:27:04 PM
There are specific methods for handling message traffic which takes it from casual -doing a Buddy a favor- to professional quality, correcting errors ('getting fills') and etc. which the average ham has never used and probably never even heard of.

A maritime Morse operator would be an expert in such things.  These traffic handling methods can be learned.

Nothing like having a good Sparkie ashore or aboard whether it's digital or Morse.

QSL. Thanks for this nice welcome message!