Your Very Own Surveillance Drone...?

Started by White Tiger, December 05, 2012, 10:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Tiger

Ok...was noodling around the interwebs and found this:

http://ardrone2.parrot.com/ardrone-2/arfreeflight-20/

Have we discussed this yet?

I'm thinking this would be perfect for the ol' BOL...(waddaya think WA4STO)?
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

ttabs

I stumbled on to this fellas page on Vimeo.  Caution - I couldn't stop at one vid - they are really remarkable!

http://vimeo.com/35671248

Here's his web page ...

http://www.quadrocopter.com/

WA4STO

Quote from: White Tiger on December 05, 2012, 10:17:24 PM

Geez, and they're only 300 bux.  Truly excellent. 

C'mon buddy, walk up to my BOL door unannounced.  Ignore the "trespassers WILL be executed" sign and watch what happens next. 

Probably couldn't mount any sort of weapon.  But a laser?  Absolutely!  Lithium Polymer batteries are the best...

73 de WA4STO

White Tiger

Quote from: WA4STO on December 06, 2012, 11:00:09 AM
Quote from: White Tiger on December 05, 2012, 10:17:24 PM

Geez, and they're only 300 bux.  Truly excellent. 

C'mon buddy, walk up to my BOL door unannounced.  Ignore the "trespassers WILL be executed" sign and watch what happens next. 

Probably couldn't mount any sort of weapon.  But a laser?  Absolutely!  Lithium Polymer batteries are the best...

73 de WA4STO

Wonder how far away you could activate one of these puppies? Maybe an infrared trigger to alert you to a trespasser at the back gate of your BOL...you dial up the ARDrone/quadracopter verify they are trespassing - call your neighbors who then eradicate the problem.

Or...if you're in the BOL and you get a trespassing alarm - you send up a drone (wonder if they have infrared or night vision options?) and meet the threat with a friendly ambush.

Sort of a new twist on "train the trainer", eh?

Luck, thought you might see endless possibilities...

Still hoping to get one of those Signalink USB thingamabobs for Christmas...

gil

The "Cinestar" is $9K, so there is a wide range of models with different payloads...
I don't see any model below $1800 on that site...

Gil.

WA4STO

Quote from: White Tiger on December 06, 2012, 11:38:25 AM

Still hoping to get one of those Signalink USB thingamabobs for Christmas...

Dear Santa:

Quit fattening up the reindeer with all the cookies and milk, and get your own lard butt over to Hillsborough county, Florida. 

But, before that, be sure to place an order with DXEngineering and get a Signalink USB for anyone in that county that has funny wires AND palm trees in their back yard.  Some coaxial cable would be a dead give-away and if Rudolph is hearing some Donald Duck - like sounds emanating on about 7.2 to 7.3 mHz, then you know you got the right chimney.

Best to Ms. Claus

73 de Luck, WA4STO (who, alas, has no chimney)

gil

I yet have to get a Signalink USB interface... It's on my list. I hope to get on the Winmor bandwagon. Still, CW is my go-to mode. Digital modes are great, especially the store/forward systems, but practically, so complicated... I guess with the mini laptops selling for $300, it's easier. That's more money however.. $300 laptop, $120 interface, charging system for the laptop... If I can make it all fit in a small ammo can, including antenna, battery and solar panel, maybe.. But that would be difficult. Not impossible, but not easy. I have an MTS400 40m SSB transceiver kit I'm building right now, and that would be a prime candidate for a Winmor/Winlink?  station. It's not very useful to me anyway, since it doesn't have CW.. Ah, darn, another project!  ::)

Gil.

recon_prepper

too expensive, not practical, not enough range, too easily shot down.
But a very cool toy. :)

ttabs

You'll never guess what my wife got me for Xmas!  She knows I'm a putz for this stuff.  I opened my own Parrot Drone on Xmas morn!!!!!

$300 is just for starters.  The OEM battery only lasts for a about 8 min so you have to go buy a hicap battery advertised to run 25 min or more.  And because this thing is so cool, I ordered two batts just to keep me in the air longer.  Then you can have your pick of LED colors to attach.  It is controlled using an iphone or ipad which also displays the picture from the nose cam - so technically (when I get good enough) I'll be able to fly it around without having to keep an eye on the craft itself.

Range is lacking - 50 M is what they recommend and as I discovered, that's dependent on the battery power.  I took it up 150', hovered around for a while, and then nearly proceeded to loose it into the forests of Idaho!  lol

It has two HD cameras on board.  One on the nose and one mounted on the bottom (looking down) and the data is stored in a thumb drive that you can plug in. 

So I guess I'll be taking you all on a tour of my place soon. (waiting for the batteries, chargers, lights, etc.... to arrive)  and I'm going to show you my 80' antenna setup like you've never seen before!!!! lol

gil

White Tiger

Quote from: gil on January 03, 2013, 11:25:26 AM
Watch the videos...: http://www.team-blacksheep.com

Gil.
very cool, reminds me of the little drones used in the US Marine recruitment commercials...

White Tiger

Quote from: ttabs on January 03, 2013, 09:40:03 AM
You'll never guess what my wife got me for Xmas!  She knows I'm a putz for this stuff.  I opened my own Parrot Drone on Xmas morn!!!!!

$300 is just for starters.  The OEM battery only lasts for a about 8 min so you have to go buy a hicap battery advertised to run 25 min or more.  And because this thing is so cool, I ordered two batts just to keep me in the air longer.  Then you can have your pick of LED colors to attach.  It is controlled using an iphone or ipad which also displays the picture from the nose cam - so technically (when I get good enough) I'll be able to fly it around without having to keep an eye on the craft itself.

Range is lacking - 50 M is what they recommend and as I discovered, that's dependent on the battery power.  I took it up 150', hovered around for a while, and then nearly proceeded to loose it into the forests of Idaho!  lol

It has two HD cameras on board.  One on the nose and one mounted on the bottom (looking down) and the data is stored in a thumb drive that you can plug in. 

So I guess I'll be taking you all on a tour of my place soon. (waiting for the batteries, chargers, lights, etc.... to arrive)  and I'm going to show you my 80' antenna setup like you've never seen before!!!! lol

T - this is absolutely AWESOME! Looking forward to that video/virtual tour (although when Gil and Luck see it...you may have a couple of visitors)!

WA4STO

Quote from: White Tiger on January 04, 2013, 02:41:05 AM

T - this is absolutely AWESOME! Looking forward to that video/virtual tour (although when Gil and Luck see it...you may have a couple of visitors)!

Sigh...  i just wannna buy an acre up there.  Go hide.  Disappear.  FerGIT the bad news on TV any more.

73 de Luck, WA4STO

Well, she's candy-apple red
with four on the floor
and she purrs like a kitten
till her lake pipes roar.

It's the little Saint nick

White Tiger

Quote from: WA4STO on January 04, 2013, 09:37:06 AM
Quote from: White Tiger on January 04, 2013, 02:41:05 AM

Sigh...  i just wannna buy an acre up there.  Go hide.  Disappear.  FerGIT the bad news on TV any more.

73 de Luck, WA4STO

Well, she's candy-apple red
with four on the floor
and she purrs like a kitten
till her lake pipes roar.

It's the little Saint nick

Me too...have, actually...but the extra $80 per month in "new" taxes to help R's & D's fund the giveaway/vote-buying projects via Social Security (buying votes of non-citizens and young citizens who are being purchased with the funds that should go to our retirees)...reminds me that I can not escape this crap.

...so I need to get busy finding a spot to get off grid...'cuz the tax fun has only just begun...

Jonas Parker

Now all we need is plans for a DIY Hellfire missle!   :P