Signalink USB noise issues.

Started by gil, February 10, 2013, 11:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Anyone wanting to buy a Signalink USB interface might want to read the following articles. I am not sure I will buy one. Any good alternatives? I am sure it works fine, but apparently the noise from the USB supplied voltage is a problem..

http://www.frenning.dk/OZ1PIF_HOMEPAGE/SignaLinkUSB-mods.html

http://www.frenning.dk/OZ1PIF_HOMEPAGE/images/Wireless%20Article%20-%20Signalink%20USB%20Mods%20v6.pdf

http://www.k7sfn.com/projects/signalink.html

The noise problem apparently can be fixed for a few cents but does require some soldering..

Gil.

madball13

Gil,
I have a west mountain radio PNP and now a signalink. Both work great for PSK but i could not get the PNP to work with Winmor after hours of trying. I spent 10 minutes hooking up the Signalink and i was able to get connected to Winmor in my first try.

White Tiger

That's odd Gil, I don't remember Luck saying he had a problem like that...and I think he's got a LOT of time on his Signalink!?

Is it a problem with different types of radios?
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

WA4STO

Quote from: White Tiger on February 11, 2013, 09:12:25 AM
That's odd Gil, I don't remember Luck saying he had a problem like that...and I think he's got a LOT of time on his Signalink!?

Alas, I'm old.  And my hearing is poor.  Which equates to my having NO understanding of where the high noise levels I'm hearing (on 40 meters, for example) are emanating from.  Could very well be that the Signalink is contributing to that.

On the other hand, I do have 43 years' worth of having listened to 40.  Lotsa noise.  ESPECIALLY with a vertical, which really picks up tons of man-made QRN.  I'm guessing that, at the new 'shack', with the 270 foot full-wave loop (horizontal), things will be a LOT better.

I appreciate Gil's having pointed out the link to that guy's site.  He is truly an expert at tracking down noises like that. 

Best 73 de "Luck", WA4STO

gil

The problem is probably noticeable mostly on higher bands with a low noise level... That said, If I get one, I will make the mods he describes...

Gil.

White Tiger

Quote from: gil on February 11, 2013, 12:41:14 PM
The problem is probably noticeable mostly on higher bands with a low noise level... That said, If I get one, I will make the mods he describes...

Gil.
hey, speaking of that, did you ever get an antenna tuner? I completely forgot about you needing that! If not, do you still need it?

As Luck mentioned, the noise level on 40m has been terrible...and it's so consistent that I thought it was my antenna/radio issues! What band(s) is everyone thinking of using for digital modes?

gil

Quotehey, speaking of that, did you ever get an antenna tuner? I completely forgot about you needing that! If not, do you still need it?

It was an analyser I needed. No big deal, I got around that... As to bands for digital, whatever is used for Winlink, and that would probably be 40 and 20m.

Gil.

White Tiger

Quote from: gil on February 12, 2013, 12:24:34 AM
Quotehey, speaking of that, did you ever get an antenna tuner? I completely forgot about you needing that! If not, do you still need it?

It was an analyser I needed. No big deal, I got around that... As to bands for digital, whatever is used for Winlink, and that would probably be 40 and 20m.

Gil.
I am sorry I forgot Gil...

WA4STO

Quote from: gil on February 12, 2013, 12:24:34 AM
As to bands for digital, whatever is used for Winlink, and that would probably be 40 and 20m.

Gil.

For traffic handling on WINLINK, I'll be using PACTOR I, primarily on 80 meters.  But that's only because, due to propagation, the traffic MBO I'll be accessing in order to pull traffic for Nebraska is close enough that 80 will provide the best signal.

Here's a chart that reflects only where the traffic handlers are.  But it's also indicative of the bands and frequencies where the "rest of" WINLINK hangs out.  Talk about flexibility; no wonder that WINLINK works so well.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bscottmd/central_qrg_table.htm

Other than the handling of formal written message traffic, I find 40 to be the best for me.

73 de WA4STO