Using a dipole for bands other than what it was made for?

Started by PuJo, June 08, 2017, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PuJo

Morning all.
While field day is a few weeks away, I will be operating from my work location when I can. An oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico.
I am limited on space for the flight out to the platform so I am only going to bring a wire antenna. I have different home-brew dipoles.
I do not have an analyzer but my KX3 will tune the bumper of a '57 Chevy!
Anyway, on to the question, using a dipole for other bands than what is was designed for....

When using a dipole and tuning from 6-40, is there a specific length that I should be aiming for?
I mainly use monoband dipoles, but I will not have the luxury of multiple antennas or the time to take down and put up another, I need to stay with 1 dipole.

I do have an end fed that works 6-40 and may just set that up but would rather a dipole.

Thanks and have an awesome day!

gil

Hello Kyp.

For a dipole you'll need two attachment points, which in your case might be a challenge. Why not look into end-fed wires? A 20ft fishing pole and 19ft wire with an EARCHI UNUN will go a long way, unless you have very high winds, but as long as you secure the pole correctly you should have no problem. You sure do have an awesome ground with the metal structure of the platform in salt water! Ger a good alligator clip ;D Otherwise, look into the Chameleon Hybrid Micro with the Whip. You can also use it with a long wire. The EARCHI UNUN is much cheaper though, but you won't get a nice clamp and whip. Longer is better, so a 26ft or 35ft wire would be better...

Gil.

PuJo

Hi Gil,
I do have an Unun end fed but was just wanted to try a little something different.
I just wondered if there was a magical length for a multiband dipole, not a fan dipole. I would bring my Jackite pole but wont fit in the helicopter....

But I will probably stick with the trusty end fed with a long wire. I will be competing with the wind so I will try and tie it off on the lower deck and hope for the best.

Thanks!

-Kyp

I have also been enjoying your YouTube video's!!

Lamewolf

If you want 40 thru 6 meters, you might want to look into an off center fed dipole for 40M, its 22' on one side and 44' on the other side fed with a 4:1 current balun and then coax to the radio.  If its adjusted correctly, it can cover 40, 20, and 10 and possibly portions of 6 meters without a tuner, and 17, 12, and 15 meters with a tuner.