Flying with radio

Started by rparker762, September 30, 2013, 09:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rparker762

First off, let me say howdy. New to the site and to amateur radio in general. I have a UV-5RE. Figured it would be cheap enough to mess with until I learn more and learn what I would like. I am not transmitting as I have yet to get my license but I enjoy listening. My question is, I am flying back to Alabama to see my mom who has cancer and was thinking of taking it with me. I am only planning on taking a backpack as carry-on. Anyone think I would have problems or should I just leave it at home?

cockpitbob

First, WELCOME  :D !!

I don't see any problems bringing it on the plane.  Perfectly legal.  That doesn't mean someone might not get concerned if you take it out of the bag, so just leave it out of sight.  Nothing to hear with that aluminum pipe shielding everything anyway.

rparker762

Yeah, it would stay in the bag. I'm the type of flyer that once I've planted myself, I don't move.....

gil

I remember once taking an aviation handheld with me on a commercial flight. I was listening to our pilot talk to the tower. Of course that was more than 20 years ago. I don't see why it would be a problem though, as long as you don't transmit and turn it off when then ask you to turn off electronics.. like Bob says, perfectly legal. Though they might grope your crotch for good measure  :o

Gil.

KK0G

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you aboard.

Third vote; yes, it's perfectly legal, have at it.

On a side note - it's a sad commentary on the erosion of our freedom and liberty in this country that questions like this even come up. Could you imagine our great grandfathers asking if problems would arise if they took a radio on a train trip? :(

OK, off my soapbox now, have a good trip.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Archangel320420

RadioRay

1st:   Welcome to the forum.

2nd:  I used to get hassled with my radio all the time...

Those paranoid pansies are just looking for trouble.

de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Archangel320420

OHHHHHHHH Man!  I gotta get me one of those!!!!!!

I swear I will not fly commercial with the TSA nonsense, only drive or fly myself, but if I have to someday I WANT ONE OF THESE along.

DANG  that is a nice radio. The one in the box.

cockpitbob

Quote from: gil on September 30, 2013, 10:17:27 PM...perfectly legal. Though they might grope your crotch for good measure  :o

Gil.
I call it a Freedom Massage :-\

KC9TNH

rparker762, welcome to the forum.
Curious to see how the trip pans out.
The TSA's bottom line falls to:  "The final decision rests with TSA* on whether to allow any items on the plane."
That's from the TSA's website, which was last updated yesterday and has a statement saying they're not actively monitoring it today due to guv  shutdown.

You could also check with the airline gate agent for advice. I don't THINK there's any issue but you should not rely on an internet forum for a circumstance where you might be just "this" close to boarding and TSA jams you up over your radio. (Unrelated: the battery will keep its true charge longer if separated from the radio.)

* My edit. Everyone has different experiences with the TSA and it can come down to the individual.

To those optimists who continue to fly commercial, happy landings.
Good luck!  :)

Kayden

I flew this January, with my HT and had no problems in DIA or LAX. I did have some local repeaters programmed in, and the whole thing in my carry on bag. Wasn't a problem. That said, I detest the security theatre at the airport. There is some real, good security, but there's plenty of bunk too.

KK0G

The 200+ year old quote you see at the bottom of every one of my posts pretty much sums up my feelings on TSA.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G