What is a W5YI?

Started by Sunflower, September 16, 2012, 05:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luigi

I kept my original call sign when I became an Technician. It keeps them guessing when you are in the area only allowed for Extras.
Luigi

KK0G

I'll admit it, back when I was first licensed as a technician I looked upon extra class hams with a god like reverence. They had somehow managed to achieve the pinnacle of amateur radio and were rewarded with coveted 1x2 calls. Of course now that I've been an extra class for many years and I don't have technicians and generals worshiping at my feet and offering sacrifices to appease me, I sort of realize it's not as big of a deal as I once thought it was.  8)

Not that it's not worth the effort, I'm very glad I did it and would do it all over again the same way. I highly encourage folks to go for Extra, with a little bit of studying it's not nearly as difficult as some make it out to be. Besides, if you don't go for it you'll anger me and I may rain down hell fire and brimstone upon the mere mortals of amateur radio. LOL
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

QuoteI highly encourage folks to go for Extra, with a little bit of studying it's not nearly as difficult as some make it out to be.

I couldn't agree more. It isn't rocket science! Even the math is just a bunch of formulas to remember, nothing head-scratching. At least everyone should go for Technician and General at the same time. I passed all three the same day after two weeks of study 8) Not to say than I'm super smart, but that is isn't that difficult. The advantage of General of course is the lower parts of the bands allocated to Morse code (CW mode). That in itself is worth the extra study time and reading your pocket calculator's manual...

The three ARRL books have similar chapters for the three levels, just a bit more in depth for each. So, the best way to do it IMHO is to read the same chapter from the three books per day. For example, you'd read the chapters on propagation starting with the Tech book, then the same chapter from the General book, and finally from the Extra book. About 14 chapters total if I recall, two weeks, plus a day or two to recover before the test.

The free practice tests on QRZ.com allow you to get used to the questions and evaluate your score. Even if you don't think you'll pass the real test, try! I didn't think I would pass extra, but to my surprise, I did. There is no penalty for failing.

Gil.

Luigi

Having the original tech call sign also seems less pretentious when helping others reach their goals in becoming licensed. I became a VE to help people with that goal. That part is rewarding. Going for the extra is a personal goal that should be attempted by as many as possible.

I have some serious respect for Advanced level amateurs. A lot of those folks passed with CW and no test pools to study from at the time that they were being licensed.
Luigi