Another Java Portable Success.

Started by gil, December 08, 2013, 10:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Hello,

I was supposed to participate in an IOTA activation today in Sarasota but never heard back from the organizer. Great way to get new members for an emergency radio club... So I ended up walking around taking photographs of people around the park. Finally my roaming left me at the usual coffee shop. Since I had my station in my backpack I whipped it out and clamped the Buddistick to the plastic white picket fence outside. A quick text to Ray had him on the air within two minutes. He heard me S8 810 miles away! Unusual, especially using such a short antenna and about 4W. I think he had about the same power, or 3W if I remember well. Yet another proof that you don't need 100W to make contact, as if any more proof would be necessary. QRM was cars driving by.. I was happy however that I got most of the conversation head-copying. It's in real situations like this that you can measure progress. Most of the customers  know me well so I didn't get too many weird looks. I wouldn't try the same stunt downtown. Someone would probably call-in on me ::) It is good to put a setup to the test once in a while, just to make sure everything works and you still remember what goes where..

Gil.

KK0G

COTA? - Cafes on the air? Looks like you had a good time and another example of how QRP CW works so well.

Oh, and is that a Blackberry I see!?!? I thought those were outlawed. 8)
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

QuoteOh, and is that a Blackberry I see!

Nope, it'a an El-Cheapo Pantek dumb phone, which works quite well actually. Only problem is that its getting harder and harder to read the buttons :o

Gil.

RadioRay

So - Gil shot some video and sent it to me.  I did a little editing and made a GIL/java video about QRP operating from his coffee shop.  It's intended for those who may not know about ham radio, shortwave radio or believe that equipment must be expensive and HUGE to be effective.

http://youtu.be/dI6mMPPN4J4

Have fun.  Make certain that you have a mouth full of liquid for the last few seconds ...  I am not responsible for any damaged caused by my own editing ...

de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RichardSinFWTX

gil

QuoteSo - Gil shot some video and sent it to me.

Well, I wasn't going to post it at first, not wanting to bother editing it, but Ray did a better, or at least more original job than I would have  ;)

BTW I just talked to Ray using 100mW. That's 8100 miles per Watt. Not the first time we try this.. So, yes, QRP works ;)

Gil.

Archangel320420

If you can't work QRP CW from a first class resturant what good is it? Huh?

gil

QuoteIf you can't work QRP CW from a first class resturant what good is it? Huh?

LOL, yes. That coffee shop is more of a dive, but I like its relaxed atmosphere. You can get away with murder there ;) It's not that clean but the food is dirt cheap and good. Other than the occasional fight (though it can be entertaining) it's a great place  ;D

Gil.

TexasRadio

Awsome !!!!
Ive got to get working on learning CW !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gil

QuoteIve got to get working on learning CW !!!!

Most recommended! Nothing goes through like CW on low power.

Gil.