Building the Weber MTR-5B.

Started by gil, July 30, 2015, 05:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietguy

Gil, maybe you have checked this, but in your closeup photo of the chip, with the quarter for scale, it looks like you are dangerously close to a solder bridge between a couple of pins.  If the dot is in the corner with pin 1 and if I counted right the possible bridge is between pins 18 and 19.  It's just above the "X6" stenciled on the board.

Wally

gil

Thanks Wally, the processor to the left of X6 is working fine, no bridges, though it look close..

Gil.

gil

Well, I got the nifty little DSO138 oscilloscope kit today and put it together.. Then did the BFO and LO adjustments with the MTR5B. No problem. I still get no signal from my K1 on the MTR though. Someone on the AT_Sprint group suggested that I check the frequency on pin 19 of the AD9834. I checked, nothing, darn. All solder joints look fine on both the processor and the DDS, which are the hardest to solder due to the small size of the pins. So, back to checking again. I hope someone on the group suggests which pins to check. I looked at those connecting the two chips, but all seems all right. Maybe there is something else I am not thinking of.

I was the first to complete the kit, but probably won't be the first on the air :(

On the positive side the DSO138 works. Even though it only works for audio frequencies, it beats any multimeter in some situations when one needs to see the waveform. I wish it came with a case, but what can you get for $23!? Maybe I'll use a cigar box.. I did the BFO adjustment on the MTR by ear but I was way off! Higher frequencies sound louder, but the DSO138 showed me I was wrong. That little tool is a keeper, until I get a real oscilloscope at least..

Gil.

cockpitbob

Gil, how's the 5B doing?  I didn't get a kit but have skimmed a few of the group's emails and it sounds like there's a clock stability problem or something.

gil

Hello Bob,

I haven't gotten back to it yet, but received a new chip from Steve Weber. I need to read the latest posts from the group to figure out what to do. There is a firmware update too, but fortunately I have the TI board to upload it... I still have which I assume is a soldering problem on one of the chips..

I also need to troubleshoot my BitX20A.. Won't get to either until next week..

Gil.

cockpitbob

I have a 3-band MTR but also wanted this 5-bander.  However I was working the day of the announcement and they sold out before I got home.  No problem I thought.  I'll just buy one from LNR when they start selling them.  Well, LNR is now selling them for $380!!!!! :o   Holly crap!  I mean for just a little more I can get a good used FT-817.  I guess I like my 3-band MTR more than I thought.  If the MTR_5B could do digital modes I might feel more inclined, but at that price I doubt it.

I guess Steve Weber does something that no one else does (shirt pocket multi-banders), and if there's only 1 source you don't have to price things competitively.

gil

Darn, they didn't include 80m instead of 17...

Gil

cockpitbob

Quote from: gil on April 05, 2016, 05:09:03 AM
Darn, they didn't include 80m instead of 17...

Gil
Yeah, I noticed that.  Too bad.  The shorter bands will be less and less useful as we dive into the next solar minimum.  We passed that crappy little peak 2 years ago and it's all down hill from here.  I can see me converting my 3-band MTR from 40/30/20 to 80/40/20 at some point in the future.  I don't use 30 much anyway.

I suppose someone could treat their LNR MTR like a kit and modify it for 80/40/30/20/15, but the case markings would be wrong, and if I recall you'd have to unsolder all the filter components for 40/30/20 and "move them over one position", then buy and install those for 80.  That's a ton of work.

gil

Yep.. I think I will buy another 3b and a single band 80m kit.. Or maybe a KX1, but it's really low power... Elecraft really needs to make a new three or four band board for the K1...

Gil

cockpitbob

I agree about Elecraft.  They've been focused on the big dollar items and ignoring the little guys.  The KX1 is getting very old and they've quit maintaining the K1 and now it's only a 2 band rig. :-\