Prepping for Hurricane

Started by RadioRay, July 01, 2014, 10:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

It's been years since we've had high hurricane activity, but it looks like a tropical storm is on it's way up the coast and once over the Gulf Stream it's supposed to ramp up to hurricane status and then clip us here in coastal Virginia.  If all goes well it will track further out to sea and we can just get the lawn watered (note to self , put down grass seed immediately after the storms, while the ground is saturated...) However, hurricanes will be hurricanes and 'they' really don't know it's precise course.

So, I'm kitting-up the cars in case one or both of us are trapped away from home, evac box for the house, in case we need to leave here, CASH, shelter, water/food fire(power) and my 'Up-Armored KX1 QRP CW transceiver and other goodies to keep things charged. It's a good exercise for us and hopefully nothing else comes of it.

Out here in farm country, it's the RIOTING afterward I 'm most concerned about!

>de RadioRay ..._  ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Joe

Stay safe Ray, glad your getting ahead of the storm.
Don't forget refills for any prescriptions you may have.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCJon

How was the storm?  Did it stay well east of you?

RadioRay

fortunately, it stayed well out to sea, giving us some wind conditions short of a gale and plenty of rain.  In usual hurricane fashion, the next three days, the weather was EXCELLENT!  I love the moderate temps, clear skies and low, low humidity after a hurricane.

It was a good 'training opportunity'.

>RadioRay  ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry