What am I looking for?

Started by rparker762, December 07, 2013, 04:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rparker762

I saw a picture somewhere where a guy mounted a UV-5RE or other HT on a chest rig and fed an antenna cable through the webbing and had the antenna mounted on his back.... What would be needed to make a setup like this work? Wouldn't the "extension cable" alter how the antenna would perform? I'm thinking this would be an ideal setup for what I'm looking for... School me please....

gil

The question would be, why? Seems way more complicated than necessary and I don't think it would improve performance.. The only thing you need to do to an HT is attached a quarter wave rat tail.. Not to mention that a chest rig and antenna in the back would make you look like a wanker.. Now there might be a legitimate reason to do this but I certainly can't imagine what that would be...

Gil.

RichardSinFWTX

Maybe posting a pic would help your case.

I've got a pouch for my HT on my chest rig; but I don't have any sort of antenna on the back.

gil

I've tried different antennas on 2m HTs and none of them made any difference. the quarter-wave rat-tail made a huge improvement...

Gil.

RichardSinFWTX

Ya see, I haven't had much luck with the rat tails either.  I just can't tell any difference.

KK0G

All you need is a feedline between the HT and the antenna. A piece of RG174 coaxial line about 2-3' long with appropriate connectors on either end should work. I'll have to agree with Gil though, you're not gaining much at all by doing this, I'd want a rat tail counterpoise as he suggested but even that won't improve things much. At VHF height is king above all else and I can't see a gain of about 1 foot at the most in elevation is going to accomplish a lot.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

rparker762

My thought was, I have the Nagoya 771 on my HT now. Anywhere on my plate carrier the antenna either slaps me in the face or picks my nose. Not to mention the antenna snags on everything. Already have a throat mic. Would just like to get the antenna out of the way.

Well apparently I downloaded the pic...

I'm still new to the radio scene so would this be more trouble to try and get to work right than it's worth?

KK0G

Quote from: rparker762 on December 09, 2013, 07:53:34 PM
I'm still new to the radio scene so would this be more trouble to try and get to work right than it's worth?
Only you can determine that. 8) For me it would be far more trouble than it's worth. I rarely use VHF/UHF and very, very rarely use HT's (although there was a time I did use them heavily) but if I had a problem of the antenna getting in the way, poking me in the face, etc, I'd just reposition the HT to avoid the problem.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G