60 Meters ?

Started by Lamewolf, October 29, 2013, 08:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cockpitbob

OK, now I hear RadioRay at 4 by 5.

cockpitbob

RadioRay and I just had a short QSO on 5,403.5, ;D but we were only getting about 50% copy both ways :(  so we gave up after a few partial exchanges.  Yes, this was USB.  As Ray pointed out, CW would have been 100% copy.

RadioRay

Thanks for hopping in, Bob.  It's good to begin testing for more net type activity.  60m USED to have a rule that calling CQ more that a few times was considered hogging the channel, because if you're calling and nobody answers after about the third alteration, then let someone else on. So - with the guys taking-up two different channels in CW (one CW contact per channel...  :-[    ) it only left three channels. 

This is the one weak point of 60 meters.  We once had 5371.5 SSB occupied continuously when the band would go longer, from roughly 4:30 in the afternoon until about 7 in the morning because of a QSL card hunter who would turn his "voice keyer" ON and call continuously - I assume sitting there in the chair waiting for a reply.  His only replies were his call, name signal report and to send him a QSL - that was it.  Polite e-mails were sent and he simply informed us that he had more cards than we did, so who are we to question him?  OK - got it. However, after a couple of months nothing more was heard from him. Whether the Radio Mafia got him or he finally enough cards, I do not know. Crash might remember this guy.  I was living in Idaho at the time and 60 m was our NVIS party line (without the party) as soon as condition into Arkansas came in, this card collector's voice repeated the same call, all night long until well past sunrise.    ::)

de RadioRay ..._ ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Archangel320420

I hear vvv's
5403.5 Khz

Archangel320420

Lamewolf

Quote from: RadioRay on October 31, 2013, 04:09:29 PM
OK -

I know what you mean about falling asleep.  It's been an 'interesting' couple of days here as well and 'the couch of eternal sleep' is calling loudly to me.  I'll set an alarm.  I assume we won't be wandering the streets dressed as politicians (scary - VERY scary) and might be on the radio.

60 meter band DIAL frequencies (USB) in the United States

1                       2                      3                     4                       5
United States    5330.5       5346.5       5357.0       5371.5       5403.5

10 pm Eastern: call on channel one. if it's already occupied, we'll use channel 5 as secondary.

de RadioRay ..._ ._

W7ASA

Sorry, fell asleep again but that was a good thing.  A storm that knocked the power off at 2 am woke me up and I couldn't go back to sleep after that.  I guess I fell asleep somewhere around 8:30 so I got around 5.5 hours sleep last night.  I'm not a night person and I get up around 5:30 every morning to get ready for work.  I arrive at work around 7am and get off at 5pm so I'm dog tired in the evenings, so maybe we should try it Saturday evening - I don't have to go to work Sunday so I could stay up later then.  I'll start monitoring channel 1 around 9pm eastern Saturday and give a few calls starting at that time.  If that channel is busy, I'll move up one at a time.